Monday 11 March 2013

Welcome to Taper Town

Today is the official start of my tapering phase heading into the Ironman race....well actually my taper started yesterday as I didn't (couldn't) do my last long run session due to my shins. Although the shins are no longer as inflamed as they were last Sunday afternoon, the arches of my feet are still tight and the shins are still tender when I apply pressure on them.

As I couldn't do a long run, Michelle (another Tri Alliance first timer) and I did a longer than 40min swim at Frankston. We covered a nice 2.3km in about 54min and then decided that we should go and have breakfast instead! Didn't take too much convincing for both of us to agree on that suggestion. We sat at Main Street Cafe at Mordialloc and had a great relaxing breakfast and talked about our race strategies and what our plans are for the next few days and what we were planning on doing post race. After scoffing down our post swim breakfast and coffee, we decided to walk up to the roundabout (connecting Beach Rd and Nepean Hwy) to cheer on the squad coming through Mordialloc. Luckily I had my cowbell in my car and brought the Tri Alliance spirit to the run!

After waving the last Tri Alliance runner through, I drove home to shower and change into normal clothes before I headed to Elwood Life Saving Club for the Tri Alliance BBQ/Family Day. We held this event for several reasons:
1) To raise money for Smiling for Smiddy - http://www.smiddyfundraising.com.au/tri_alliance_victoria
2) Wish the Tri Alliance Ironman Athletes good luck as they head into taper phase
3) Having a family day so friends and family of Tri Alliance athletes get together for a BBQ

We raised over $500 from this event.

This morning, I decided to head over to Frankston as a swim course recon was conducted (advertised through Tri Vic). Although I had swam at Frankston for 3 or so weeks and have done a 3.2km swim, I wanted to swim the course and hopefully learn a thing or two. When I arrived at 6:45am, the list showed that about 50 people had registered and prepaid for this but many people turned up and paid that morning. There was a pretty good group of people who took up this opportunity too. I am not good at estimating numbers but I reckon there was about 100+ people there. We had a mass start which gave me a glimpse of what it was like to start a triathlon with a larger group.

The swim out along the pier was the busiest. I was amongst the pack but slowly the group dispersed. We then turned at the first buoy and headed towards Olivers Hill and this is where I started to stick with my no kicking strategy of my swim - this conserves not only energy but also gives the legs a chance to have a break before a long day ahead. I only kicked to stay on course or to turn around the buoys. Once we reached the second buoy, it was then a long long long swim to the other side of the course. This swim was so long and I am hoping that there are navigational buoys on race day as it was hard to see where we were swimming towards. All anyone could do was just follow the swimmers ahead. During this stretch of the swim, I once again gave my legs a rest. I ended up swimming 3.5km - instead of turning at the last buoy and swimming perpendicular to the pier and then towards the shore, I just followed the swimmer in front of me and swam diagonally towards the shore. I did this swim in about 1:08 and so my goal time of 1:20 for 3.8km is looking attainable.
The rest of the week consist of the following:
Tuesday - am elliptical trainer and pm windtrainer
Wednesday - am Swim
Thursday - am water running and pm SBR combo
Friday - am Swim

For this weekend, I will be heading to Geelong to see the family before mum and Sam (youngest brother) head over to Dubai to see my other (younger) brother Kai. I will do a ride at Portarlington whilst others have a race-recon and then I will be there to support the Tri Alliance athletes as they compete in the triathlon at Portarlington - some are racing the mini and sprint whilst a handful of close friends will be racing the long course (2km-80km-20km). I will most likely be plodding around the course with my cowbell and be there for my friends on their day.

My mum and dad - still so in love.


An added bonus for taper is that I am able to spend some time with my parents as I haven't seen them since the Geelong race weekend in February. They will not be here for my big race but I am sure that they will be proud of my achievements.






No comments:

Post a Comment