Thursday 21 March 2013

3 More Days

WOW! Today, Melbourne has given us a taste of its temperamental weather patterns! Winds up to 120km/h in some parts were recorded.

As I drove into work this morning (at a normal time) due to no training scheduled before work, I noticed the number of athletes on their TT bikes, TT Helmets (aka Sperm Helmets, Wanker Lids), full kit riding along the run course. The sheer number of Ironman athletes in Melbourne are starting to become noticeable. How do you know if they are already Ironman? They wear their M-dot gear - you can't miss it! :)

So last night, some Tri Alliance athletes had a casual feedback session with the WTC for Ironman and Ironman Asia Pacific. We provided them with our personal views on the Ironman brand, what we liked, not liked, how we got into the sport of triathlon and why we chose to do an Ironman. We also spoke about the cost associated with not only the entry but also the training and gear.

It was an interesting session as we got to hear about the different reasons why people are training for this sport and their views on the cost associated and how it impacts (or not) on their everyday lives.

I guess I am lucky (my choice) that I don't have a family that I need to spend my money on more wisely. I do pour it all into the sport and whatever I have left over, I pay my bills and my mortgage with - it should be the other way around, I know, don't judge me!! :)

I never think of what I get out of the $900 I pay to do an Ironman race, to me, it is the amount I need to pay to have the privilege to be part of the starting line and to participate in the event. 

After the session, I drove to the end point and took a photo of the 42km mark of the run course. Fingers crossed that I will make it this far within the 17 hour mark. I know that I will be crying when I cross the finish line - not to the disappointment, it will be because of how proud I am of my own achievements.

No comments:

Post a Comment