Wednesday 27 March 2013

Ironman Melbourne - Post Race Reflection

This is not my race report - if you want to read that, go to this link...

To be honest, where do I start?
During the race, I was exhausted - it was such a tough day. During the bike ride, small thougths crept through my mind about what I could have done over the last 6 months which could have made me a stronger rider so I could have escaped the change in wind direction. Was I riding in the right chain ring? Was I on the right gear? Was I riding at a good effort (zone)? I was starting to question my fitness as there was nothing else to occupy me on the 180km ride. This would have been the thing I enjoyed the least about the race itself.

Due to the swim and how I had changed direction as to not be accused of cheating on the course also played on my mind during the bike leg. I should have just followed my own instinct rather than what everyone else was doing...

My nutrition on the bike leg was as good as I could have handled. I started to feel sick from the raspberry gels I had in my flask and grateful that I had plan B along with me which was Gu packets of a variety of flavours. I didn't have coke on the bike leg but this may be something which I will change in the next season - to have it on the last 45km of the bike course to finish the bike off well.

On the run however, I felt strong and was 100% pleased with my effort. I had nailed my nutrition - 1 gel at every 2nd aid station along with coke from the start. Used plan B for my run nutrition and ditched the raspberry gel flask and used the variety I carried. They served small water bags on the course which tasted disgusting but I held onto the packet in my hand to relax my wrist as well as my grip. The water packets also acted like a security blanket as I had control if I needed extra water in between aid stations.

I decided at the last minute to wear my Nike Free 4.0 instead of the 5.0 as it was more flexible and I could feel the ground better and it worked. I currently don''t have shin splints and my feet did not slap the ground during the run.

Currently, I am feeling empty. Why? Because I didn't have my best race and I don't feel like I have completed a full ironman distance triathlon. I have done an Ironman event but not the full 3.8km swim. The perfectionist in me is not satisfied with the race and therefore, I don't feel like I am entitled to be an Ironman. I repeat that I did this race for myself (not for anyone else) and as I am not pleased with my own efforts, I am not content. I am not sure what I am feeling is what people deemed Post Ironman Depression as I am not coming down from (too much of a) high from the race...

I am happy that I have completed the event and from what I have heard (even from the pros) that the event was one of the toughest they had done. Feedback from other athletes have made me feel better that the ride was tough but I banked on the bike being more of a stronger leg for me than the run - it ended up being the other way around.

I did have fun racing and this is evident in the many comments from the supporters as well as some of the photos that came out during the day. Not sure if it was the caffeine I had been consuming when the photos were taken or I was just so bloody happy to see familiar faces that it made me smile...

Will I sign up for another one? Yes, but first I am praying that I actually get a spot in next year's event and that I do the race (and myself) some justice. Fingers crossed that I get a spot and my next A race will be Ironman Melbourne 2014. I am also planning on racing Busso in Dec 2014 as it is known to be one of the best Ironman courses in Australia.

I am officially in recovery month now and I will start to get my life and house back in order. I am not planning on attending many of the sessions over the next few days as I have dinner plans on Thursday night. Friday I may join the latte ride which will be a short spin on the roadie/single speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment