Tuesday 5 March 2013

Shin Splints

According to my Count Down, there is 19 more days until the big day. This is the final build week on the program with the longest ride and run planned for this weekend.

Last weekend, I rode 170km on Saturday and ran 32km on Sunday (I actually ran 31km and walked the last 1km with a ginger beer in my hand). I do have some not-so-good news to share, I am currently in injury town.

The (running) load on my legs have caused my dreaded shin splints to return on my right leg. I didn't feel anything during the run on Sunday. The pain only occurred on Sunday afternoon when I finally left the couch and felt sharp pain throbbing along the bone whenever I took a step. I was slightly worried as by now, I recognised the difference between a "good" pain (muscle soreness) or bad pain. I hadn't felt this pain since my last shin splint injury, which was about 2 years ago.  

Saw the physio yesterday during my lunch break and he confirmed that the pain wasn't a result of my little trip I had at the 28km mark along some uneven concrete, it was shin splints to load.

I am not too stressed about it and this is the honest truth. I will assess and manage the pain day by day with ice and anti inflammation creams and backing off my running to zero (better be safe than sorry). I am going to let my legs heal as much as it can until the 24th March 2013. I trust that I have done the training I need for this event and will continue with my swimming and riding for the next few days. I don't want to risk flaring up the shin splints to the point of bone fracture. I will continue my running with water running and time on the elliptical trainer for the rest of the week and consult the coaches too.

I am off to Sydney for a conference on Wednesday (won't be able to train as my flight is at 6am and will be back in Melbourne around 8pm). Thursday, I will do some soft training to make up for the running and then the combo session on Thursday night. Friday is an endurance swim set with Saturday being my longest ride on the program (180km+). For Sunday I might change the program to an increased distance in the open water swim at Frankston with more time on the elliptical trainer to mimic my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment