Tuesday 26 November 2013

Where to from here?

It has been 12 days since my Shepparton race, 65 days until Challenge and 114 days left until my next Ironman.

My body is starting to feel normal  again after a week off any real training with intensity or load. Someone pointed out that there is approx 16 weekends left until Ironman (with approx 15 weekends of long rides and runs) left, give or take.

Whilst I was supporting the Gatorade Sprint on Sunday, I was itching to race again (call it crazy) so I will speak to the coaches to see if it would be smart for me to race the Olympic Distance on the 12th Jan (Challenge Melbourne being on the 2nd Feb). If not, then I will be at the Gatorade race minding the enquiries tent for Tri Alliance and supporting as much as I can. 

Post Shepparton, my knees are starting to feel better. I still feel a pressure on the quads (just above the knee) and the physio advised that it may be inflammed tendons too. The knee caps are ok now, no more internal bleeding/swelling. It feels unstable to squat on the left leg due to the load but it no longer feels like my knees are about to fall to pieces. The Physio used some radio-shock-thingy therapy on it, wasn't invasive but it felt like a small hammer knocking on top of the knee cap (where the tendons were), slightly uncomfortable but didn't hurt as much as needles.

I am so envious of people running at the moment, no matter what size or shape they are.  As much as I find running a huge discomfort to my joints (being very hypermobile), I do miss it and want to be able to run again soon. For now, I will be doing strength work with squats, lunges and water running. 

As much as I can balance with work, I will do at least a session a week along with all the non-programmed sessions such as pilates and strength work. As I have discontinued my membership with the gym, I will need on I find alternative methods such as doing squats with a heavy backpack and using bands to do leg extensions. 

This weekend is suppose to be a long ride amongst the hills but as I am packing the house, I will just be riding Beach Rd for about 3-4 hours. Will try to get to bed early so I can get this ride out of the way early in the morning and try to stay awake for the rest of the day whilst I back stuff into boxes. 

On Sunday, I will try to head down to Elwood at 7am to join the squad in the open water swim but will make it a good session as I won't be running with them afterwards.

Last night, we had a dinner to congratulate the first group of athletes to trained with us leading up to the Elwood Gatorade/Active Feet race. Heaps of prizes were given out as well as membership packs for the ones who joined the squad.

Some of the coaches got a special note and a gift from one of the athletes. He was an enthusiastic person. Right from the start, he was eager to learn, took on board all the advice and more, turned up to all the sessions early and supported the entire team. He has now joined as part of the main squad and we look forward to see his growth in this sport. 

(Name hidden for privacy purposes)

Happy training everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment