Monday 11 November 2013

(A Fortnight's) Reflection - 28/10 - 10/11

I did mention that there will be a slight change in my weekly reflection as I was racing up at Noosa. I have updated the blog to include the events leading up to the race and also have added my race report.

I came back to Melbourne on Wednesday 6th Nov and have pretty much tried as much as I can to recover from the week's holiday and preparing myself for Shepparton 70.3. The registration for Noosa 2014 opens on the 12th November and I am not planning on signing up as I am planning on taking some of my long service leave holiday in Aug/Sept to participate in a few Grand Fondo rides in Canada, volunteer and support at the World Champs in Edmonton 2014. As luck would have it, I have an all day course on the Tuesday 12th so I will be off social media and won't be sucked into the hype, tension and excitement of The Noosa Entry (it is about as hard to enter as it is running in 30 degree heat). Good luck to all the triathletes who want to do this event in 2014. It is a great one to tick off the bucket list.

Favourite session of the week: Believe it or not, the Noosa Olympic race was my favorite session for the week (fortnight). I remembered why I love this sport and being part of the Tri Alliance team (family). From the moment we landed, the sun of Noosa just made me smile from ear to ear. The familiarity of Hastings Street and the time away from work and house work makes for a great holiday.

The ins and outs of the race was in my race report so I won't go into too much detail but I did enjoy pushing myself through the race albeit being slightly uncomfortable. I do love swimming (now) and felt like I am getting stronger on the bike. I still  haven't found the Running Nirvana but I don't hate it. I want to love it, I just want my legs to stop hating me for it.

The other reason why I loved this session is that it brought me back to a few years ago (Nov 2011) when this was my first Olympic Distance (and longest race) and how much I was so proud of myself for finishing in one piece. It is humbling to know how much I have improved and now a better triathlete. I am grateful for the ability to do this race with little hesitation.

Least favourite session of the week: I am not able to run so I am doing water running instead. It is not a session I hate but just a session I wish I didn't have to do. Yes, it is mind numbing but I rather do water running than not doing anything at all or doing more injuries if I was to run on hard surfaces.

Noosa 2011 (with 2075). Spooky fact, for 2013,
my race number was 2705.
Advice of the week: For a person who has been training as a long course triathlete for a few years now, I had (and many others around me) lost sight of what it is like to be a beginner triathlete kicking goals with enthusiasm. The week leading up to the race at Noosa, I was reminded of what it is like to do a 1.5km swim, a 40km ride and a 10km run for the first time. The nervousness and anxiety of the days leading up to the event of uncertainty on how your body would handle the stress through to the joy and gratification of crossing the finish line!

Reading through social media, the mood can be quite negative - triathletes who have been through training and racing for a few years just don't understand why beginner triathletes are so excited when they accomplish a training session, why they tweet and facebook about their day, the distances they have achieved and that lovely aching feeling of a good session. I think we forget the small things about triathlon when we start racing for the big events and have been through the training before - we start to feel that "its no longer such a big deal". People blog/tweet/facebook about their achievements not because they think they are "top shit" or necessarily want to throw off their competitors....for a newbie age grouper, its not about that.  

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: This weekend will be Shepparton 70.3 - my 3rd half Ironman event (2nd Shepparton 70.3). Looking forward to kicking small PBs (Personal Bests) even if it is just feeling more comfortable pre race, during the swim, during the ride and fingers crossed, during the 3 laps of the run course.

No comments:

Post a Comment