Saturday 9 November 2013

I think I am in Taper Town....

I can't believe it has come down to this again....taper town. I have a half Ironman in 8 more days (7 more sleeps) and I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I know my mind and body can finish a half Ironman (1.9km swim, 90km ride and a 21.1km run) - I am just slightly worried about how my knees will hold up. I do want to finish this.

Post Noosa (Olympic Distance), I am still limping 7 days after the race. Its all to do with the inflammation and bleeding behind the left knee cap which has been more annoying than my previous shin splints.

I haven't been running since the 10km as part of the triathlon other than doing a few water running sessions since I have been back in Melbourne. I will stick with the water running and seeing the physio sometime next week for a pre-race prep and to purchase more kinesio tape (or knee brace) to hold these bloody (no pun intended) knees together.

I can't believe that this time next week, I would have done my pre-race re-con of the course, picked up my registration pack (the Shep packs are always awesome), racked my bike in transition and maybe even taken a pre dinner nap. Between now and next Sunday, I still have the following sessions:

Sunday - I will either do a ride (90km) or a few hours on the windtrainer (see how the weather Gods are feeling), go to Elwood for the Shepparton de-brief, head home to watch the Noosa highlights at 1:30pm...
Monday - Swim in the morning, work
Tuesday - Small water running session, work, windtrainer
Wednesday - Swim in the morning, work (or swim in the afternoon)
Thursday - Small water running session, work, combo (most likely be a small session, maybe one last open water swim)
Friday - drive to Shepparton, bike course re-con, maybe a swim
Saturday - bike course re-con, register, rack bike in transition
Sunday - Race Day...

In my non-triathlon life, I am also moving house in a few weeks so I will need to do some sorting, throwing out of crap and packing before the start of December (officially get keys on the 2nd Dec). I am looking forward to this move as I will get a garage (hello bike racks!!!), a dishwasher (hello real kitchen space!!!), a bar (hello triathlon supplements corner!!), a study (hello triathlon/sports room!!) and just generally not having the stress of packing multiple bags if I want to spend time with the Canadian. Words cannot describe how excited I am about getting a dishwasher.

After Shepparton, I will have 2 more races in my 2013-2014 calendar, namely Challenge Melbourne and the big one - Ironman Melbourne. The good thing about the new year is that I will also get my health insurance benefits back and start claiming for massages which are mandatory for Ironman.

Shuffling my way through Shep...
I have also received an addition to my bike-kids family. I have now a mountain bike (a Giant Arete) to play with post Ironman. The CX bike is still in the factory in Taiwan but I am in no rush in getting it into the house. I am looking forward to riding these bikes for the love of riding (rather than the prescribed hours as per program).

No comments:

Post a Comment