Monday 25 November 2013

A Fornight's Reflection 11/11 - 24/11

Due to my Shepparton 70.3 race on Sunday 17th Nov, staying in Shepparton until Monday, I had completely forgot about this post until Thursday afternoon. I figured it was too late then and would compress two Weekly Reflection's post into the one.

The main crux of the fortnight was my Shepparton 70.3 race and my 1km Open Water swim for Corporate Games. I haven't really done any training in between these apart from the occasional swim and massage.

I went to the Liv/Giant event on Tuesday 19th instead of a recovery spin. It was organised by Giant and Witsup.com. There was Charlotte McShane, Erin Densham and Hanna Whiteside on the panel and the night was moderated by Jo (Giant) and Stef (Witsup). We had a good insight (not all great news, but that's life) from triathlon - training and racing through to some women's issues in the sport from politics and how bodies react.




On Wednesday 20th, I did a light swim in the afternoon and it wasn't pretty. My body (post Shepp) was just tired and stiff. It took be about 1.5km to get comfortable in the water. A massage also helped to loosen up my muscles. I coached on Thursday evening (no training of my own) followed by another light swim on Friday after work just to make sure that everything is a-ok for my swim on Saturday.

On Saturday, I did the 1km swim in choppy conditions and came 2nd. I know my time was slower than last year but last year had picture perfect flat conditions. The turning buoys were also much bigger last year. This year they had small cans (practically the size of milo tins). So hard to see when the waves are tall.


2nd Place for 1km Swim
 Apart from that, I went and supported at the Gatorade Series Race 1 event on Sunday. It was a good day where some first timers did their first ever triathlon whilst others (more seasonal athletes) achieved massive PBs considering the swim was a bit of a misery due to poor weather conditions. Everyone had a great day. Some of the core squad members also had PBs for this race showing that training over the off season does pay off.

Favourite session of the week: My 2nd Shepparton Race.

Least favourite session of the week: My recovery swim session on Wednesday 20th was a struggle. Even using the pull buoy and just moving the arms proved to be a bit of a chore. I did some kicking to get some movement in the legs and it was just a struggle. Usually, when I am swimming by myself, I place myself in the Fast Lane at my local pool (being in suburbia) but for this session, I had to do most of it in the Medium Lane.

Advice of the week: Something which I liked hearing about at the Liv/Giant event was that everyone has good and bad days. Learning to listen to the right people is also something interesting. There is no rule book on how to become a perfect triathlete. You have to go through your own journey.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: This week, I am trying to get back into the groove of training again. This point onwards will be my training build towards Ironman Melbourne. There are 17 weekends left until Ironman but there may only be about 15 long rides left to do. Rides will go back up to the 120-180km distances and depending on the coaches, they may still place me in the "first timers" category regarding training load and intensity. I am comfortable about this as it is not about the label of the program that I am in but rather how I am able to get through them and how quick I recover for the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment