Thursday 7 November 2013

Noosa 2013 - The Race Report

Another year, another Noosa raced....this was my 3rd (and will be my last) Noosa for a while. Not because I didn't enjoy the holiday or the race event itself, I will be travelling next year and giving Noosa a miss to participate in other events outside of triathlon.

So how did I go in the race? I am actually pretty happy about it albeit that it was slower than last year's time. I felt good on all 3 legs (swim, bike and run) and I am happy that my knee held together during the day (can't say much about it post race - I am now Limpy McLimp).

I woke up at about 5am, got my bags together, ate a banana and went down to transition for the set up which closed at 6am (instead of 6:30am in previous years). I forgot to bring my triathlon towel but I had a white one which did fine for the 'bright towel'. Decided to stick to my (long course) routine of putting on the bike shoes in transition (no fancy mounts) and no more running with a hat. Transition set-up was finished at about 5:30am. Went back to the apartment (across the street) to relax. Watched nearly an entire movie.

My wave started at 7:49am (last year being 8:05am). I headed to the start but didn't get in until about 7:45am due to the congestion. Quick warm up and last gulps of my gatorade and pre-race gel. I started around the right side (long side) and when the gun went off, didnt have anyone swim over me.

My swim time was longer than last year - could be due to current, could be due to me swimming wider. I felt good in the swim and came out of the water in 33:12 (112 out of 222). I navigated well and made sure my technique was consistent. 

Ran my way into T1 to only realised that someone (a total douchebag) had moved my transition over to the other side of my bike - firstly making me look like I had no idea what I am doing in transition and setting it up wrongly and secondly, had all my things all over the place (not the way I had it set up). To make matters worse, this person had a plastic tub in transition (like an ITU Pro), on the left side of his bike AND had the tub going sideways - hence, the need to move my transition over the left side of my bike...I don't understand how this person got away with it and not realising that no one has set up their transition that way. 

After I tried my best to go through T1 like a squirrel scavenging through my pile of nuts - shoes on feet, helmet and glasses on and clipped clopped off on the bike course, I was still fazzled about what had happened and almost reminding myself in my head for a few minutes that everything will work out at the end....not sure how long T1 (and T2) was as it was all accumulated in my ride time.

The bike was not too bad. I had moments on the course where I literally ran out of gears and pedalling at a high cadence (post Garmin Hill). Nothing too interesting to report except that I had to dodge a few people who took their time to pass and also others who rode in the middle of the road (blocking). There was a slight wind on the course and the last 5km or so was not my fastest. I did also feel slightly slugging at the 25-30km mark - not sure if it was the wind...I didn't drink enough on the course (only about 200ml) and I know I do need to change this for Shep but I was afraid of going to the toilet on the run. 

Ride time of 1:27.29 (115 out of 222) including T2 of trying to recognise which transition was mine (as it wasn't what I had set up).

On the run, my legs (like always) were sore. I pushed through the pain and just tried to increase my cadence to push the legs on. My mouth was dry (dehydrated) and couldn't wait for the first drink station. Felt like I was running through the desert. I had a girl from QLD (Alana) run with me for a few hundred meters and we chatted until I picked up my pace and pushed on.

I had half of my gel at the 5km mark (just after the turn around point) and then tried to hold a steady (and slightly beyond my comfortable pace) for the rest of the run. The run towards the finish line is never the easiet when you know the end is so close yet you have to go through the little streets. The spirit of the neighbourhood was once again the highlight of the run course. So much support especially for local triathletes. 

I walked through all the drink stations so I was able to drink properly and pour water over my head. Finished the run under an hour 59:22 (143 out of 222).



My overall placing was 116 out of 222 for my age group (Female 30-34) with a time of 3:00:04. Slightlly out of the top 50% percentile for my age group but I am considerably happy with it. Why? I guess I had really low expectations about how I would go and didn't expect to get anywhere near the 3 hour mark. I wanted to pace myself and didn't want to ruin my body with 2 weeks to go before Shepparton 70.3. I used this race as my practice (not an A race at all).

How am I feeling now? My knees are not great and will have to order more kinesio tape prior to Shepparton. I will continue on with my water running as to not ruin my knees even further. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment