Monday 2 December 2013

Weekly Reflection 25/11 - 01/12

Post Shepparton, I am now on the tough road towards Melbourne Ironman with a half Ironman thrown in between. I am still no able to run (even a jog or a fast walk yet) so my training the last week consisted of swimming (did 4 session last week), two bike rides and a few strength sessions. 

I am proud of myself for getting up at 4:30am three times during the week for squad swimming. I haven't done all session of my swims with the squad for a while as I was feeling tired (needed the sleep in) and taking advantage of the afternoon sun, doing my swim sessions in an outdoor pool. I have also done a long open water session on the Sunday with the squad before they set off for their long run (whilst I set off to a Christmas lunch). There is an open water swim event this Sat which I might sign up to, I was tempted to do the 5km but I think for what I am training for, I might stick to the 2.5km. 

On the cycling side, I did the windtrainer session on the Tues and my long ride on the Saturday (late morning). Feeling fatigued on the bike mainly due to hay fever and not feeling 100%. The roads were quiet (due to the Kinglake event) so it wasn't too stressful. 

The keys were handed over this morning for the new house and the Canadian and I have just spent the afternoon (a bloody warm one 37 degrees), packing, cleaning and unpacking. We made a rookie mistake by not lodging our utilities so we have no electricity until Wed night so it looks like I will be sleeping in the old house until Wed night this week. Tough afternoon and now my back is killing me. 

Favourite session of the week: I really loved my open water swim on Sunday. As I wasn't running, I did an extra long swim of 2.5km in calm and clean water. I am not the biggest fan of "swimming in a general direction", I need a landmark to swim towards such as a buoy or a pole. I love swimming from pier to pier or pole to pole but it does get boring if you have to make the distance. The water was crisp and I only stopped at 2.5km as my core temp started to drop and I was not feeling comfortable anymore. 

Least favourite session of the week: legs were like lead during my long ride on the Saturday. Maybe it was the lack of time spent on the bike, maybe it was how I felt when I was riding into the headwind. I didn't feel strong at all, like I was falling asleep and was drowsy. I don't know if it was what I ate during Friday (heaps of chilli) or dehydrated from going to the toilet from consuming so much salt and MSG. 

Advice of the week: The weather is starting to warm up lately. Although it may seem cloudy and overcast, the body can still dehydrate. Drink plenty of fluids and add electrolytes into the mixture (not carbohydrates).

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: this is non triathlon related at all but I am looking forward to moving into the new house and having a space to put my bikes and all my Tri gear (away from bedroom and living area)

Me posing in front of a rhubarb and custard cake (with meringue top), salted caramel fridge with pecans and a red velvet centre cheesecake (with Italian meringue top). 


No comments:

Post a Comment