Monday 3 June 2013

Weekly Reflection 27/05 - 02/06

Favourite session of the week: I tried out a stroke correction swim squad on Saturday afternoon with John Van Wisse and I got so much out of the session (will write a separate post about going back to basics soon). I know that I have a weak upper body and doing simple technique sessions such as sculling, fists, single arms really helped with feeling the water again - made a big difference.


Least favourite session of the week: My long run on Sunday was not my best. I did a stroke correction session with a swim coach on Saturday afternoon and I was still feeling the affects of using my glutes. Further more my arches did ache a bit due to the use of fins. Although I didn't ride on Saturday, my legs just didn't want to move during the run!  I found it hard to lift my knees high and did not feel the power in my legs when we were doing the leaping exercises. I got very frustrated indeed.

Advice of the week: Know where your limits are and don't let your ego get in the way of your training. I will write more about this in another post - I knew that I wasn't able to keep up with the faster swimmers in the squad doing single arm strokes so rather than having the squad wait for me until I finish (which was what the coach wanted - First in, last out), I decided to move down a lane so that they didn't have to wait for me and get on with their set. In addition, I worked on my stroke rather than speed to try and keep up with the big boys. 

What I’m looking forward to next week: No doubt about it, I am really looking forward to the training spike I will have during Lorne Training Camp. I use this weekend as a benchmark year after year to see my personal improvements and setting higher benchmarks in training. Once more information is provided by the coaches, I will provide my plan of attack for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment