Friday 14 June 2013

So Sore!!

A (biggish) weekend at Lorne training camp plus a newly introduced core balance session this week - my body is slightly sore and sorry.

In training, I have eased myself back into norm. An easy swim session for me on Wednesday morning which was all done in fins was a good way to flush out the legs. My work is quiet good in providing staff with health and wellness initiatives. At NDY (where I am an Associate/Sustainability Consultant) - the following things are provided:
  • Fruits, Milk, Bread, Cereal in the breakout space - daily
  • Personal Training Sessions - weekly
  • Core Balance and Tai Chi Sessions - weekly
  • Massages (twice a year)
  • Annual cash back of gym memberships of up to $300
  • Cooking classes and nutrition seminars

Cooking Classes with Itty Bitty Bert (Amber)
I haven't been able to attend the Wednesday lunch Core Balance sessions over the last few months due to meeting commitments and my own lack of organisation. This week was my first and the effects of this session can still be felt this morning - tight shoulders and back (from activation) and noticeable core.

I attended a Run Technique session in Brighton on Wed evening and refreshed some of the pointers I had learnt from doing Tony Benson's sessions a few years ago. One thing which I need to concentrate on more is the way my elbows move around my body - the motion backwards should exceed the motion forward in order to propel your body forward (easy physics).

Due to my long long Thursday, I decided to not do the first windtrainer session that morning. After work, I went to Essendon for my 2nd ever run with Greg at the North. During this session, we worked on some of the techniques which we needed to make us a stronger runner - for me, it was lifting my knees higher. By lifting up my knees more, I had to concentrate on not leaning back, relaxed my ankles and landing on my forefoot. I did get into the zone regarding forefoot running, landing and pushing off quickly yet with power but I did get tired very quickly.

After the run session, it was a quick shower, eat dinner, a 45min nap and then a drive to the airport at 11:30pm to pick up my dad from the airport - this was why my day was going to be a long one and why I had to forego the windtrainer session that morning.

This morning, after 3 hours of sleep, I attended my 2nd Strength and Conditioning session for more stretching, mobility and stabilisation exercises.

This weekend - I am planning on doing my first road ride (I have decided to forego the Bike School at this point in my training phase) as I am falling behind in cycling training which was considered as my weakness last season. I may also add in JVW's swim session on Sat afternoon as I had only done 1 session of swimming this week. I am not going to Ryan's swim session tonight as I want to catch up on my sleep ready for the road ride in the morning.

Sunday will be another long run session at Fairfield - hoping that my legs will cooperate better. Thursday's run session was not too bad. As we worked on technique rather than speed, I was able to complete the session without being left too far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment