Tuesday 4 June 2013

Back to Basics

So I started my triathlon training again around May of this year having taken a whole month off after my Ironman. This time of the triathlon periodisation phase is all about getting the technique right before building up strength, volume and speed. I have signed up for a few things to help me with getting things right.

Swim
Aside from the Monday, Wednesday swim sessions with Tri Alliance, I have also started to attend Stroke Correction sessions with Coach Ryan (Friday evenings) and on Saturdays with John Van Wisse. John's swim sessions are held at the King Club (Sandringham Leisure Centre) which is (seriously) a 4 min drive from my house. If I really wanted to join his 5:15am sessions on Mon, Wed or Fri, I could. For now, I am only attending the stroke correction sessions to help me with my swim stroke and to mix up my training before I am too tired to do these sessions (as I peak for Ironman again). He also hosts open water swim sessions on Wednesday nights which I will pick up when it comes around.

Ryan's stroke correction classes will only run for another 3 weeks and the sessions work on basic skills rather than placing a big load on legs or arms. We learn to feel the water and the correct techniques through the full rotation of a swim stroke. JVW's sessions are more intense and depending on the week's program, I may skip Monday and/or Friday. No point in smashing myself now when I don't need to.

Bike
I have posted before that I have signed up to a 6-week bike skills course (bike school) with Coach Daz. So far I have learnt how to better hill climb and cornering. It is always good to have the opportunity to learn these basic skills at the time of the year when there is less pressure to knock out the massive ks out of the road. On top of bike school, I have also done a few loops of Studley Park to make up for my lack of distance done with the main squad.

I know that I am slightly behind in the cycling side of training (riding on the road and hills) but I am hoping to be consistent in the sessions post bikeschool. Windtrainer sessions have (as always) been great and I am consciously pushing myself beyond my comfort zone. Still using the tri-bike in these sessions and only keeping the road bike for Saturdays.

Run
Apart from incorporating drills into my run sessions (as instructed by the coach), I have also signed up for a few run courses (done by Tony Benson) in the month of June and July. I am using it as a refresher to the 6 week run course I had done with Tony a few years ago. These sessions will be held at Brighton.

Strength & Conditioning
I have signed up for a 6 week S&C course with Kemble Edelsten who will be working with Tri Alliance. The first session was last Friday and we worked on posture, how to hold yourself and learning to always be concious of your core and activation. In the next few weeks, he will provide us with our individual programs to cater for what we need. What I need to work on are:
  • Core Strength
  • Upper body strength especially my shoulders
  • Strength around my ankles and feet
Due to my hypermobility (I have an issue of being too flexible), I often find myself rolling my ankles when I am running. I don't have issues with my ITB, hip flexors but have noticed that my lower back tightens up very quick, not sure if it is to do with my tight hamstrings or vice versa. Trying to work on activating my glutes more than my hamstrings.

I have also started back on the Pilates Reformer classes (on a Monday nights). I found them very good for my core stability and strength work. I always increase the spring tension or add on springs (or no springs depending on the routine) in the classes to work harder.

I am grateful that I have access to the help I need to improve on the next season's races. Key to a successful season to be consistent in training and to work on weaknesses and maintain your strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment