Friday 21 June 2013

Calves on fire during icy winter

We have been working on strength and technique work within last few running sessions and I am really feeling it in my legs - especially the calves. I have mentioned in one of my previous posts that I have been trying to lift my knees up higher (incorporating the slight bum kick and push off if possible) when I am running.

Doing these sets nice a slow means you will have more steps to cover off within the distance. The more steps, the more pressure on the calves = tight calves.

I felt the calves being activated last night during my 4 x 1km but really felt it tightening up during the hill sets as we were encouraged to lift the knees higher to run up the hills (rather than run into the hills). I could only do 1 x 400m as my calves were burning and tightened up to the point being stiff. The 3 degree coldness did not help either.

The temperature in Melbourne has gotten colder than usual. We have had mornings where it is close to 2 degrees. I don't mind running in cold conditions (I still only wear a singlet), I will just need to manage my hands and ears. Yesterday (double Thursday), I did a windtrainer session outdoors and took 30min of work before I was too hot for my beanie and jacket. Next week, I will also use gloves as I found my hands got too cold and started to hurt. My hands were very painful last night during the run and opening and closing my fist was a struggle. Need gloves!

I also bought a cycling buff which essentially is a piece of stretchy cloth for cycling. I will have it around my neck and be able to pull it over my nose and mouth when I descend. I may have to start to wear the buff during my evening runs too.

The good thing about an icy evening is that the temperature in the Maribynong river is also icy cold. This was therapeutic for my legs and I can actually walk around work this morning!


During the week, turning up to swimming has been a big challenge - driving to the pool 40-50min away and seeing the temperature gauge of the car go down to the point a snowflake appeared on the dashboard is not encouraging in anyway. To add to the madness, we also swim in an outdoor pool which has pre-historic facilities - facilities so old that the hot water does not work for the post-swim showers!

This weekend's training will be slightly altered to cater for family commitments. Today is a loooong day - this morning, I had my 3rd Strength and Conditioning session, tonight I will go to a footy game (Hawks v Eagles) and I may be home around midnight (not ideal). Pack the bike and bag ready for the morning ride.

Saturday will be a ride in the Dandenongs - will be similar to last week but my goal will be to be more comfortable about the hills and if I feel like I can, I will do one more repeat of 1-in-20. Depending on how exhausted I am, I might to a swim at 3pm. I am still in 2 minds as I would like to catch up on my sleep. Family dinner on Sat night

Sunday - I am doing the Melburn Roobaix as a fun day on the single speed bike. I am actually looking forward to the Melburn Roobaix as I really enjoyed riding around and exploring the side streets of Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment