Wednesday 5 June 2013

Half Marathon Hesitations...

A few weeks ago, I signed up for the Run Melbourne Half Marathon (the event is on the 21st July 2013).

First Half Marathon in 2010

The first time I competed in this event (was also my first half marathon) was in 2010, a few months after I started with Tri Alliance. My first half marathon was completed in 2:08:36. I had no idea how my body would handle that distance when my longest (long) run was only around 16km. I was also not aware of how my body would cope with clothing layers nor did I tune in my nutrition. The goal of that day was to finish the race and that I did. my first long run, I had on a singlet, a running vest and arm warmers - as you can see from the photo, the arm warmers quickly came off during the run and if I could, I would have ditched the vest. I think I had about 3 gels throughout this event...

I have since Run Melbourne 2010, ran 4 official half marathon events but have done several long runs which exceed the half marathon distances since. My longest run was (my first) marathon as part of my first Ironman triathlon.

I have a confession to make, I am sh!t scared about the half marathon event coming up in less than 7 weeks. My long runs over the last few weeks have not been the best - my legs just didn't want to move, they feel heavy and sluggish, I am carrying about 2-3kg more than I was prior to my Ironman and I am short of breath due to the chilly/dry air. I am still grateful that I am able to run long distances but I am still super slow. I am yet to push myself beyond my comfort zone that I am happy with but I am also scared of injuries especially shin splints (my kryptonite).

I know that I can finish the event but I know that no PBs will be achieved....I will try my darn hardest to get < 2 hours but I know that this may not be a possibility as I only achieved that goal last year in October when my running resembled something fairly descent.

Nervousness, pressure, anxiety, hesitation are a few words that come in mind when someone asks me how I am travelling for this event. I know this event is 7 weeks away, I know that I have several run sessions to get through but I am still worried/have anxiety about my lack of strength and speed at this point in time.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!
    Run Melb will be my first half, and I'd be stoked if I even get close to your 2010 time!
    Shin splints are my weakness too, so I'm crossing my fingers for my 15k run this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Please let me know how you are travelling in training and how you go during your half marathon. You will have so much fun on the day and be faster than you expect.

      Delete