Wednesday 19 June 2013

Nutrition & Triathlon - My Journey

As you all know, nutrition is a vital part of triathlon training and racing. I am not an expert in this field and therefore, won't be able to give any advice however there are plenty of qualified professionals out there - my recommendation is to ask a professional you feel comfortable with - either by their reputation, research, publications or even diet/method beliefs.

Every nutritionist/dietitian out there will have their own personal views in terms of nutrition just like a triathlon coach. Methods of weight loss or maintaining energy levels will vary from one to another. Methods of perceiving food/nutrition will also be projected differently. This is why it is good to be comfortable with who you are seeing - if you don't feel comfortable/trust their advice, it will not work.

As I had mentioned before, I am seeing a sports dietitian to refine my weight loss/energy levels to enable me to be a better athlete. I did some research in dietitians who have consulted reputable triathletes as well as knowing what athletes need to perform. The person I am seeing at the moment currently consults for several triathlon squads/clubs, provides advice to cycling/triathlon blogs as well as being part of the SDA's committee. I personally wanted a dietitian who is not necessarily a triathlete themselves but one who knows what a triathlete's regime looks like and also the different phases in training and racing.

So my first appointment was last night. We went through my typical training week and then down to what my typical food plan looks like on a weekday and then a weekend (as my weekends vary).

What I learnt from the consultation was:
  • There is no need for me to cut down on fats (like changing from full fat to skim dairy) due to the amount I am currently consuming. This will be different for someone who is obese and needs to cut down on their calories. I do need to watch/monitor the calories which comes from fats/oils.
  • I don't need to worry too much about sugar - I was actually advised to consume yogurts with fruits (e.g. Fruit Chobani) in between my double session days (Tues, Thurs, Sat) as my sugar consumption is not that high and the carbohydrates are required.  
  • Re-think sugar - carbohydrates can be complex or simple. They are digested the same way in our guts but it is about the choice of sugars we eat. On my days where I don't need to refuel, I can/should reduce my carbohydrates in order to cut down my calories. This can be as simple as reducing portion sizes. Excess carbohydrates will make you fat.
  • Fuel up adequately prior to intense sessions rather than re-fueling post sessions to keep up energy levels.
  • The body can only use a certain amount of protein and any further extra proteins we consume will be excess calories. A huge steak is not more beneficial than a small (palm size) one as the excess proteins won't be used up by our muscles.
  • A vegetarian source of protein will require a greater quantity - e.g. you would require more tofu to make up for the [X]g protein compared to a small serving of steak. Find a balance with calories.
The sports dietitian will provide me with a breakdown of what I need and how much (in terms of proteins, carbs) and when they should be consumed (important for me). I will also see a body scan person to get an accurate measure of my body mass/fat %.

The food plan will be adjusted when my training regime changes closer to racing season. This will be done through the review appointments in the near future.

I did learn plenty of things from this consultation. I think (personally) it is also good to take advice from a single source rather than following various methods. I am comfortable with the advice I have received.

Will keep this updated in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment