Monday 4 February 2013

New Boy - George

On Saturday, after my 6 hour bike ride - 160km (actually, it was 157km, I miscalculated my turn around point), I headed to Sandringham oval as I was rostered on to help out with the Tips & Tricks info session that Tri Alliance does the day before every Gatorade Triathlon Race.

Normally after my long rides (which have been starting at 4am in the morning), I fall into a sleep coma for about 2-3 hours. This particular weekend, Coach Sarah asked me to help out. It meant no naps but plenty of caffeine during training and a strong coffee after training to stay awake.

Electrolyte (caffeinated) drink in one hand and the course maps in the other, I helped out with the Info session followed by the course walk through with the Olympic and Sprint distance athletes. It was this race 3 years ago which lead me to sign up with Tri Alliance. It was the race which I nearly drowned in the open water (no wetsuit, fun distance of 250m).

After the session I decided to go to Jellybean Bikes as they had a Scratch and Dent sale on their run-out frame stock. There are no dent faults on the frames available, just paint imperfections which they were not able to sell off as their standard orders. I picked up a new bike using some of the Bday money which my parents gave me a month ago. I named this bike George as I chose to have masculine colours (blue and green coloured rims on wheels) and with the brown saddle and handlebars, it appeared like a gentleman.

Why this bike? I have always wanted a fun single speed bike to ride around and possibly use as a commuter if I don't want to use my old roadie (Squeeky).

I already have a semi-single speed bike - it was a road bike converted into a single speed using the rear derailleur as a tensioner. Rather than using all of my B'day money to pay the bills, I wanted to spend it on something which I love and I love George.



There are a few things which I will change about George in the coming months:
  • Replace the head stem with a shorter and straight one (the current one is stupidly heavy and one which is on an angle) - my reach is further than I am comfortable with and I don't need it to be so high.
  • Replace brakes to ones which are more reliable
  • Replace pedals to have flat on one side and MTB cleats on the other so I have the option to use cleats if I use it as a commuter (my commute has hills and around 35km each way)
  • Somehow fit a drink bottle holder on...

2 comments:

  1. 35km with hills on a single speed! That's keen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done it before - just takes a little bit extra time and effort!

      Delete