Tuesday 12 February 2013

Geelong Long Course Weekend - (Not) The Race Report

This is NOT the race report (as the heading of this post suggest) - if you want to read that - it is under this link

Friday

I went to Geelong on the Friday after an easy swim session followed by breakfast, a massage and a quick nap. I had never been so under prepared (in packing) for a race ever! I usually have all my gear packed and ready to go a few nights prior but as this was just another weekend with the family (with a long training day thrown in on the Sunday), I just threw into the car what I needed to race in and some spare clothes.

As I drove along the highway into Geelong, I realised that I forgot to bring/buy several things but because I was so relaxed about it, I just thought to myself "Meh, I will live" - things included in this train of thought was my multi-tool (to tighten up any screws on race morning), electrical tape, pit stop, spare tubes and cylinders, my pump, my arm warmers (just incase the morning was freezing and I would need to put them on in the race) and spare socks (to be used on the Saturday). I also brought my little dog Lucy with me as she enjoys spending time with my family and I can't bare to leave her by herself for more than a night.

Saturday

Saturday was short re-con of the ride, run and optional swim or a 90km ride to Portarlington and back for the Ironman guys. I opted for just the short ride as I needed to see a bike shop for someone to help me with my wheels. Due to the deep rims (HED 6 and 9), I had extension valves put on and they were too tight and so I couldn't unscrew them out and the valve on the back wheel had actually turned down shut so I wasn't able to pump much air into it.

After watching the Enticer and the Special Kids triathlon (my friend Lidia did the race with her son Julian who attends Port Phillip Special School), I headed to the bike shop on Malop St. The bike shop helped out as the mechanic was someone whom I had dealt with in Melbourne and he fixed it for me - phew!

I was no longer worried that I wasn't able to let air out of the tyres when I checked my bike in as I was advised that with my clinchers, 110psi would be ok to be left overnight. That was pretty much the only drama I had on the weekend which would have affected my race if I had a flat and I would not be able to change the valve over.

Time came around to check in (we received a Geelong Multisport Backpack with a small towel along with our race kits) and we also checked out the Expo. A bought a few things that day, this included:
  • Peanut Butter Gu (to try out during training, not the race)
  • Nathan 4 bottle hydration belt
  • A Rocket Science crop top which I wore under my tri suit (tried something new on race day but luckily it worked ok)
  • Electrical Tape to hold things down on the bike

Sunday

RACE DAY

Most of what we had for Dinner
After the race, I went to the stage area where they announced podium places for the Olympic Distance triathlon. A few Tri Alliance members got placings which was a proud moment for the club. I then walked back to the transition area where I took my bike out of transition and then headed back home. I called my mum early so she could help me buy bags of ice and to fill up the bathtub in advanced.

I sat in the icebath for 15min and that helped immensly. As it was Chinese New Year and The Canadian's bday the next day, I asked my mum if we could have people over for dinner and luckily (and I love my mum for this) she happily and excitedly agreed and we had a nice banquet of dumplings, wontons, salad and chicken. We also ended the evening with a nice homemade (non baked) cheesecake for dessert (and bday). I didn't/couldn't rest after the race due to too much caffeine in my system. This is why I don't consume caffeine during my long rides as I really need my nap to recover.

Monday

I had little to no sleep on Sunday due to restless legs (again!) but had a small sleep in until 9am before driving back to Melbourne just after 12pm. I had a massage appointment booked in at 3pm and it has helped with my recovery. I then had a session to take for the Nissan corporate triathlon group where we did a run/ride session (within 45min). The corporate triathlon is on this weekend and it is exciting to see new athletes trying out this sport. Its been a privilege to help them out and teaching them what they need to do to complete their first triathlon.

That was  a short summary of my Geelong weekend with a Long Course event thrown in.

40 days until the big event! This week is recovery week which includes the following sessions:
Tuesday pm - windtrainer (active recovery session) and stretch
Wednesday am - pool swim
Thursday pm - SBR combo
Friday am - pool swim
Saturday - Long (early) ride and run off bike then go to Elwood for bike check in
Sunday - Corporate Tri and (fingers crossed) a 10km+ run 2-3km OWS at Frankston, 28km run from Frankston - Sandringham.

Ticking the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment