Monday 4 February 2013

Beyond MY Comfort Zone

I feel the need for this blog entry the same way I wrote about my training leading up to my first Half Ironman (Shep 2012).

Over the last weekend (2nd and 3rd Feb 2013), I rode and ran the longest distances to date and I am absolutely amazed - not only at my own abilities to do this but everyone else who is going through this journey with me (within and outside of Tri Alliance).

On the Ironman First Timer program, Coach Ollie has set the distances of both the rides and runs to be progressively longer each weekend. The rides are increased by 10km and the runs are increased by 2km every weekend (exc race weekends).

On Saturday, I started from home again at 4am (this is my 4th time doing so) and with no fox attacks to report - phew! The program had Up to 10km of hill climbing as part of 160km ride but I wouldn't reach Rye as I would have done 45km prior to meeting the group at 6am. Coach Sarah advised that I could do hill repeats of Humphries instead which I did (2 of them). I rode 157km (program was 160km, I miscalculated my turn around point). I felt really good after the ride as I had my nutrition down pat. I have also started to play around with how I would tape my gels on my bike as I am no able to do so on the top tube (too short and my knees will scratch the gels). I also wore the tri shoes with no socks and I am pleased to report that it was ok - no blisters. I didn't have too much time for recovery (20min nap) and went to Sandringham oval to take the Tips and Tricks info session with Bdette.

I am a massive believer in supporting the Tri Alliance squad when I am not racing. Some people don't do this - it is their choice but I believe in "Playing it Forward" with support.  I have only missed out on being at 2 races within the 3+ years I have been with the squad. I spoke to Coach Greg about the possibility of training early at Sandy which gives us the opportunity to support rather than training out at Fairfield at 8am. We decided to run 2 run sessions - one at 6am and one at 8am. I was there for the 6am session and did my 26km run along Beach Rd. Coincidently, the distance between Sandringham oval and Mordialloc is 13km! This made the calculation of my run distance very easy.

I decided to run with my Fuel Belt rather than my Nathan hydration belt as it has 4 bottles rather than 2. I wanted to train with Coke in one of the bottles. I had my Garmin programed to alert every 2km and 300Cal. 2 km due to the drink stations at Melbourne Ironman and 300Cal for the time to take gels. The timing of the 2 alerts were close enough to each other than I am able to take in nutrition when I am close enough to the drink stations. I started on the coke with 6km left on the run (sipping every 2km) and this got me through morning.

The rain poured down around Mentone for about 30min so about 5+km was done in the pouring rain, 15km+ was through a slight shower. I ended up taking my socks off and placed it down my top as they were soaked through and felt like I ran with lead feet. I felt my back tightend up during the run which I had to stop and stretch out, I think it was probably one of the very few times I actually stopped running due to pain.

Usually, I would be in my ice bath after a long run but last weekend, I stayed on my feet and supported our amazing squad. We had so many people who raced last weekend - some doing their first ever triathlon, others completed their first Olympic Distance whilst others had a cracker of a hit-out prior to one of their main races next week (Geelong OD). We had so many people podium and others achieving their absolute personal best. I am so proud of them all.

When the day's event finished, I stayed around to help the bosses unpack the Race Tent which takes up to 1.5 hours to complete. I then bought a couple of bags of ice and a slurpee (the temp soared whilst we unpacked) and soaked my legs for 15min.

I have noticed recently that after a long run on a Sunday, my legs are extremly restless and this disturbs my sleep. Tossing and turning - very frustrating! I am grateful however that they are feeling OK today - slightly tight but no niggles to report.

Next weekend's program is slightly altered as I will be racing the Geelong Long Course. I am looking forward to riding and running beyond 160km and 26km respectively. I am loving this feeling - that I am doing something which is beyond my comfort zone. Every week, I will continue to take on the challenges and fingers crossed that I tick off the distances of the program.

I am asked almost on a daily basis - "How is your Ironman training going?" I always respond with, "Ticking off the boxes" but with a smile on my face - its a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment