Monday 29 July 2013

Bircher Muesli - Recipe #1

Lately, I have had to do plenty of preparation regarding nutrition just so that I can feed myself proper food instead of the quick a coffee for breakfast, rice and tuna for lunch and "couple of boiled eggs" for dinner. I also want to reduce my intake of processed supplements such as protein shakes as they should not be used as a meal replacement.

I often get hungry after swimming (I call it swumgry) and since the drive from pool to work takes up to 50min, I am totally starving and may attack 4 pieces of Vegemite on toast as soon as my feet land within my office doors. I don't need 4 pieces of toast for post swim breakfast, it is eaten purely due to the hunger feeling rather consuming what my body really needs.

So this is something which a friend of mine got me onto and it works great. Bircher muesli made the night before which can be eaten post swim and by the time I get to work, I won't be reaching for the huge bowl of porridge (which I always make too much of) or ladling my vegemite onto toast.

A few weeks ago, I also bought a mini food processor when I bought my multi cooker and I swear on the one time I came first in an open water swim race, I don't know what I would do without both these appliances now. One chops things up so quick and the other cooks things so well! Anyways, back to the muesli...

So in the food processor, I add the following:
  • 1/2 x Cup of rolled oats
  • 1 x 170g tub of Chobani yoghurt (I used blueberry last night - thats why the photo is slightly purple)
  • 1 x Apple (skin on) chopped into cubes for easy processing
  • 2 x Medjool Dates (take pits out)
  • 1/4 x Milk (this I add if the mixture is too dry)
CHOP CHOP, CHURN CHURN of the processor and there you have it! I then divided the servings into 2 equal amounts and store them into air tight containers into the fridge - I would grab them out of the fridge before I leave for swimming. Each serving is approx 400 Calories (for the reciple above)

Last night, I didn't add honey as the dates provide plenty of sweetness already.


I sometimes may mix things up by adding honey (less dates), Cinnamon, pear, fresh fruit, quinoa etc....my friend adds a carrot and vanilla bean paste into hers (I will give that a go soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment