Monday 29 July 2013

Weekly Reflection 22/07 - 28/07

I have had a pretty chilled week in terms of training. I took Monday off swimming - a mix of no sleep + post half marathon. Tuesday pm is the only day my dietitian works and he cancelled last week due to family so we had to reschedule. I took both days easy and just went for walks around the neighbourhood with the little dog.

Favourite session of the week: I wrote about this last week that I was looking forward to my coaches catch-up (upskilling) on Saturday at the pool. So this was a 1.5 hour session on how to coach a swim squad (more for beginners). We learnt about stretches to do pre and post a swim session and then it was into the pool for some stroke correction lessons.

1) Kicking - Ryan posted a video on the Tri Alliance TV channel about kicking with arms by your side. When you want to breathe, look ahead and see the difference it makes to your body position in the water. So when we did it, I felt that when I looked up, it was almost like I was treading water rather than moving ahead. Good lesson learnt.

2) Breathing - side kicking and then lifting the face slightly to breathe but leaving the half of your face still in the water. Teaches beginners that you don't lift your head forward before tilting it on the side for breathing.

3) Sculling - feeling the water

4) Catch Up PB - having the PB in front and so your hand entry is away from the centre line - almost at 11 and 1 on a clock.

5) Single Arms - so that you can spot your weak arm and work on your full stroke.

We then had a small discussion on questions raised often during swim sessions such as cramping (personally, I think people cramp more if they have little flexibility around their ankles and feet), if people feel that they get no where using a pull bouy, people turning up late for swimming, people who finish early, stopping at each end of the pool etc.

Least favourite session of the week: I don't think you call this a session but it was what I disliked the most about my triathlon lifestyle. As I have written in the past before, I have had trouble sleeping and having  healthy appetite so the coaches advised me to go see a doctor (a sports one if available) and get some blood tests done. I went and saw a sports doctor and he referred me to get some bloods taken, ECG and a chest scan. That visit costs me $250 which I was not expecting (for the 30min consult)! The next day I went and had my ECG and bloods taken.

ECG - you lie on the hospital bed, bare chested whilst little sticky things are stuck around your chest (and around the boob). I felt weird, just lying there exposed whilst the (female) nurse just looked at the print out....

Blood - I had 6 viles of blood taken. 3 on each arm. Currently, my right arm has internal bleeding and this will probably last for about a week or so. Its normal, I bruise easily.

I won't know what is wrong until Wednesday and so I won't go straight into taking any supplements until then. Nothing worse that overdosing on Iron or Vitamin D when you don't need to.

Advice of the week:



What I’m looking forward to next week: The Tri Alliance Advanced camp is on this weekend so I am not 100% on what the training schedule will be but I am planning on training as per usual. So on Saturday will be a long ride and then Sunday will be a long run. Because there are hardly any coaches in Melbourne, I don't think there will be a coached (hill) ride and Fairfield run will be non-coached. I am looking forward to be doing these sessions with a small group of people (if anyone wishes to join me).

The Canadian will also be back from his annual trip home to Canada (he completed the BC bike race on his single speed - too crazy).

No comments:

Post a Comment