Sunday 7 July 2013

Weekly Reflection 01/07 - 07/07


Favourite session of the week: I haven't been following my half marathon program for...well for the last 10 weeks! I have been slowly getting back into the groove of a triathlon training schedule (eeekkk) So this weekend, I made a conscious effort to follow the half marathon program rather than the half ironman (triathlon) program. On the half ironman program, it was a 13km and the half marathon was 18-21km (peak week) - big difference hey?!!

In order for me to complete the 18-21km, I would either have to run 5-8km by myself after the group has finished or start early as to finish with the main group and soak in the river with them. I opted for the 2nd option so I am not left alone in the Yarra. 

I spoke to Coach Greg when I saw him in the morning to let him know what my plans were. He told me to do the usual Fairfield loop as a warm up before heading out the Main Yarra Trail. I was just going to run the Main Yarra Trail heading south but was advised to run North. 

It took a while for me to get my body to work on a cold morning. I felt sluggish and fat. After the Fairfield warm-up, it was over the pipe bridge and then onto the Main Yarra Trail. I decided to take the Koonung trail instead of taking the trial route as it was more busy with other runners and recreational cyclist and so I felt more secure. 

I tried as much as I could to run under 6min/km pace but it was hard and my legs just didn't want to cooperate but I did push on. I concentrated on my technique and made sure that I held my posture and landed correctly. Why was this my favorite session for the week? Here are some of the reasons why...
  • I ran at my own pace without trying to keep up with the main group
  • I took my nutrition (and hydration) when I needed to. I brought my fuel belt with me on this run in order to consume my gels at every 300Cal. 
  • I had rest-walks when I needed to without the pressure of slowing the group down. Good news was that I walked about 100m in total. 
  • I ran 21.5km! Mentally, I am prepared to do the half marathon in 2 weeks time but I know for sure it won't be under 120min. 

Least favourite session of the week: I was exhausted from going to a 1st Bday last Sunday so I didn't get enough sleep to recover for a 4:30am alarm. Instead of skipping the swim on a Monday, I decided to not go to Pilates in the evening and went to GESAC for my swim and completed the program (and a bit more). It wasn't a bad session but I did miss the squad session in the morning and compromised my pilates. I did do a short core balance session at home after the swim but it was not Pilates. 

Advice of the week: Be consistent. Not just in training, be consistent in everything you do, be it work, sleep, spending time with your friends or family. 

What I’m looking forward to next week: Next week will be another Build Week. I am hoping for another productive week in training and putting in 100%. It is also my last week with the Strength and Conditioning program and I am looking forward to learning a few more moves to help improve on my upper body and core strength. 


No comments:

Post a Comment