Thursday 25 July 2013

The Journey Continues...

So I had my 2nd appointment with my sports dietitian on Tuesday (23d July). I have had to reduce my training load recently so I wanted to double check what I have adjusted to the eating plan was OK.

We then spoke about race day nutrition (especially for the full marathon run in October), speaking specifically about the carbohydrates I need per hour and carbo loading prior to race day. So far, based on my nutrition plan over the weekend, it is pretty spot on to his advice.

The dietitian's advice is aligned with what I had been doing regarding cutting down on fibre-rich foods days before a race but trying to increase the carbohydrate intake at the same time. Interestingly, carbohydrate intake not only comes from pasta, breads and rice but also from carbo-rich drinks too (such as soft drink and Gatorade).

Things we also spoke about:
  • Proteins - for muscle repair/recovery. Also makes you feel fuller for longer
  • Carbohydrates - for energy levels
  • How much carbohydrates your gut can take and how much you need to take per hour
  • Carbo loading training in preparation for days when my runs will exceed 20km
  • Servings of vegetables/salads can increase if I wanted to
  • Swap my latte to an espresso + yoghurt to curb my hunger at about 10-11am and stay awake during work whilst keeping calories the same
  • BCAA vs Protein Shakes - both do the same thing in terms of muscle repair but a protein shake will have the calories. Choose protein shake over BCAA when I have a big break in between training and a (real) meal (e.g. Thursday night run at Essendon and taking an hour to get home to Mentone).



My weight has not decreased dramatically but my clothes are starting to become loose not as tight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment