Monday 27 May 2013

Weekly Reflection 20/05 - 26/05

Favourite session(s) of the week:
1) Went to the North run group for the first time in the 4 years that I have been with the club. Instead of running around the Tan, the North Group do their run set around the Maribyrnong river. Due to the size of the group, the coach is able to provide better feedback (in my opinion) to all the athletes. We also had a chance to soak in the river too after the run session which helps tremendously. The water was cold (not freezing) which is great for recovery but not-so-great for gut or hygiene....lets just say if you fall in, you might want to take probiotics.


The Maribynong River
I will need to work on logistics soon as it took me close to an hour to get home (50km drive) after the session. The runs will be longer and starting in June, we will start our Friday mornings swims which means a 4:30am wake up after getting home close to 9:30-10pm. I may have to prepare dinner to consume on the way home and have all my gear packed mid week.

2) I am still learning so much through the bike skills course and I am so glad I signed up. Cornering is getting better (see Advice below) however I can only do a left turn but still hopeless at right...which means that I can't go around a roundabout at any speed...

Hopefully this will show a better result in my 10km TT after Lorne Camp.

Least favourite session of the week: My swims are coming along slowly as I have lost so much of my upper body strength over the last few months and so I have dropped back in position in the swimming lane. I have noticed too that after each set, I am also short of breath. I enjoy swimming and so I have no hesitations in putting in more efforts in getting my upper body strength back.

Advice of the week: I learnt that by dropping the elbow (towards the side at which you would like to turn), you lower your centre of gravity which results in better cornering. This has helped my confidence and (hopefully) be able to corner at a faster speed.

What I’m looking forward to next week: Fingers crossed that all the sessions will be good. I will have to adapt to a few changes during the week, this includes:
  • Thursday am run (instead of pm) due to the Tri Alliance (squad only) team meeting - Good news is that I get to go home early!
  • I have to attend a wedding on Saturday at 11:30am. This means that I may have to do my 2-3 hour ride starting at 6am (or earlier), get home to change and be in Burwood by 11:30am (can't do bike skills). Reception is at 5:30pm in Brighton so I may fit in a swim (or nap) in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment