Tuesday 21 May 2013

Volunteer and Support

I follow Ironchicks website and facebook page. One of her more recent post really struck a chord in my triathlon world - it was about support and being a volunteer.

When was the last time you volunteered at a running, cycling, swimming, triathlon or any sporting event?
I know plenty of triathletes who have never volunteered at an event. I know we all have busy lives but if you have time to train and to race, I think the least you can do is volunteer (especially during your off season) and give something back to the sport which you participate in.

Not only is volunteering a great way of giving something back into the sport, it is also fun! One of my favourite days (which I will never forget) was volunteering at Ironman Melbourne 2012. I enjoyed being with my squad members setting up the station - hauling boxes of coke, gels, Gatorade from the back of a van. cutting up fruit, standing on the side through to handing out bananas and powerbar gels. My 3 hour shift became 6 as I didn't want to leave the station. The atmosphere and just seeing the various types of athletes coming through the aid station was just amazing. After my shift, I then went to the 2nd Tri Alliance aid station where I volunteered (as cheering group) for the next 5 hours or so until the last person ran through (Barney).

Volunteering doesn't take too much out of your life, it's only a few hours and what you get out of it is priceless. You will appreciate the volunteers on a whole new level come race day. In addition and this may be my personal thing but I think you also become a better athlete.

Tri Alliance Aid Station at Mentone - Juliet with Craig Alexander

When was the last time you supported a friend or friends during a sporting event?
Triathlon is a selfish sport. We do it to benefit ourselves.

Similar to volunteering, I think it is also important that triathletes support each other - either during a race or more relevant to this blog, during the off season - this means you (not racing) going to support a friend or friends (who are racing).

I love the support from familiar faces on race day. I think it is only fitting that you go out and support your friends/family during their events (this can go beyond sports). I know athletes who blatantly thrive on the support of others but when it comes to their off season, they don't show up to races to support others - why?

----------------

This blog entry is not to purposely place guilt on anyone who chooses not to support or volunteer. I am more curious to know if people think that their actions (of lack of) is a conscious one and if they think it is considered selfish at all in their own mind? Curious to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment