Monday 20 May 2013

Weekly Reflection 13/05 - 19/05

Favourite session of the week: I really enjoyed my bike skills course on Saturday 18th May. Even though I had been riding for a few years now, it is always refreshing to ride like a beginner and get to know the bike a bit better. We started off with a warm up lap on Studley Park followed by about 5 laps of the 1km tear drop loop. Coach Daz then told us that we had to ride the loop with all the combination of our chain rings and our gears. So we started off with the small chain ring and the largest cog of the cassette (the easiest combination). Not only did we had to ride the entire loop with the combination, we also had to take a drink from our bottle on the flat (something for the beginners). We then went up a gear just before the sharp corner and then off again. Because I have an 11 speed cassette (Campagnolo Chorus), I did 22 loops whilst most did 20 and some did 18.

Because of my levers, it was also tricky to change only one gear as it is possible for me to change 2-3 gears with one movement. Coach Daz also told us not to stand up whilst riding up the hills on the hard gears too so it was sit back on the saddle and grind (feel the burn!!)

I am still terrible at (sharp) cornering. I just can't seem to shake off the anxiety of falling/crashing/losing control of the bike.

After the 22 loops, it was a one loop on a high cadence and then that was the end of the session. When everyone went to get coffee, I did more laps of Studley Park to get the kms up.

Least favourite session of the week: My Sunday run was not my best. It was my first endurance run (running at pace for a longer period of time) since the Ironman. I ended up doing 10km of running before I stopped the Garmin as the last 2km was a trot/walk due to the pain along the arches of my foot. The pain was similar to when I took off my high heels and walked on Saturday night last week, was slightly worried. I also didn't end up running with the squad, instead I slept in until 10am and did my own run around my house and along Beach Rd.

Advice of the week: Never forget what it is like to start out in the sport of triathlon. We take a lot of things for granted. Things such as knowing how to use the chain-ring and gears on the bike comes 2nd nature to me now but it took me about 6 months of riding with the squad to actually learn what the combinations did. Another example is running, for a non-athlete to be able to run 1km without stopping is a big deal but it will get easier and quicker the more you practice.

Here is a photo of me in 2009 - 4km run. I was overweight and finished the run in over 27min. Running does not come naturally to me and it took me over 3 years to learn how to run properly. Just have to be persistent.


Things I’m looking forward to next week: I have a core balance session at work this week which I am looking forward to do as I have no meetings scheduled in! It is a 6 week program and I haven't been able to turn up to any of the past 5 session due to work schedule/meetings.

I am feeling much better now so I am looking forward to a full week of training, this includes the Thursday night run session at Essendon.

No comments:

Post a Comment