Monday 29 April 2013

Weekly Reflection 22/04 - 28/04

Favourite session of the week: I really enjoyed my commute to and from work this week. Due to the crazy weather, I decided to ride home on the Monday night and then ride back into work on the Tuesday. This was a good plan as I didn't need to ride with a backpack. I did have a little mis-hap on Tuesday morning when I rode into work - It was early in the morning and some loser decided to throw tacks on the road and so I received (two) punctures on my tyres. Two tube changes in one morning! That morning I might add was my first ever tube change (on the side of the road).


Second favorite session of the week was Sunday FUNday at the 1000 steps (Dandenong Ranges). There was a big group of about 40 people or so who walked (some ran) up and down the steps for a bit of a workout. I haven't been to the steps since this time last year. They have constructed steps on the Lyre Bird trail which meant that you are able to get a stair workout on both sides. This has also reduced congestion along the traditional steps too. After the session, we went to Coach Daz's place for breakfast. Always a very popular session during April Recovery month.


Least favourite session of the week: I had taken a day off work after ANZAC day to spend time with the family in Geelong. I had a plan of riding from Geelong to Portarlington (return) on Friday. Due to the strong winds, this was not to happen (could not keep myself on the bike due to the winds). Ride to Portarlington did not happen.

Advice of the week: The art of WINTER LAYERS! I have taken for granted the ease of cycling during the summer months. All I needed were my cycling clothes (basics), shoes (no socks), helmet, nutrition and my bike. During the colder months, I have to gauge how cold/wet it really is so I could decide to wear normal bibs with knee warmers or full long bibs. Then its base layer (how many or no base layer), jersey with arm warmers or long sleeve. Then its gloves - fingerless, full, waterproof or warmers as I don't wear gloves during summer or racing, socks (how many layers), booties (toe covers or full waterproof lycra/neoprene), ear warmers or beanie, cycling vest or jacket? By the time I gather what I am to wear (the night before), its a massive pile of lycra and merino on the floor.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: Week starting 29th April will be my first official week back in training. The week will start with the 6am swim session at Northcote which is something I am really itching to do (get back into the pool). Time to get the calendar filled with training sessions and start the weekly routine of packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment