Friday 26 April 2013

I am a LUCKY triathlete!!!!

I follow a dozen or so triathletes (pros and age groupers) on their triathlon journeys through their blogs, Facebook and Twitter. Their great (and not-so-great) sessions I have noticed have been somewhat affected by their locations (Northern or Southern hemisphere) and their lifestyle; it has made me appreciate my lifestyle and how lucky I am living in Melbourne (Australia).

We hear so much whining from many triathletes (and non-triathletes) about the terrible weather we have in Melbourne - how one minute it is windy, the next it will be sunny then the day might end with a thunderstorm. In order to maximise our gains in training, we must think positive about our situations and make the most of it. If you don't like something in your life/current situation, why not make a choice - make it into a positive or make changes (move away). This is not just about triathlon, it is also about work, life or where you chose to live.

Here is a list of things which I am grateful for in my triathlon lifestyle (specifically living in Melbourne, Australia) - apologies in advance for making anyone living outside of Melbourne (or Australia) jealous, I don't mean to, don't hate me :-)

1) 50m Swimming Pools
I am lucky that I have access to swim to 50m pools all throughout Melbourne. I remember reading something about how Melbourne has more Olympic sized pools than the whole of the UK. I personally love outdoor pools and love the feeling of swimming under the open sky. I have done a few swim sessions in 25m pools but having to swim 4 laps to do 100m gets annoying. I hate counting laps whilst swimming so the lesser laps I have to take note of, the better. I would love to swim in a 100m+ pool if there is one. Pools in Melbourne are generally kept clean and most people swim with etiquette. Pools which I use throughout the year are:
MSAC
Northcote Aquatic & Recreation
GESAC
Oakleigh Recreational Centre
Monash Aquatic

MSAC and Northcote is where the Tri Alliance Squad (Vic) trains at for our swim sessions. If you want to know when our swim sessions are on - see our timetable.

2) Open Water Swimming
As Melbourne is situated around Port Phillip Bay, we have access to open water swimming (more during the warmer months to hone in our skills required for triathlon races). There are open water comps throughout the year hosted by the many life saving clubs throughout Victoria. There is really nothing stopping anyone from doing open water swims during winter, it is just not as pleasant due to the temperature of the water (< 10 degrees C).


Open Water Swimming

3) Cycling Advocacy
Living in Victoria, we have a cycling advocy group called Bicycle Network Victoria. There motto:

Bicycle Network Victoria is a charity that promotes the health of the community. We work with our supporters to get “More People Cycling More Often” and measurably grow the bike riding world.

Without their support, there would not be such a great % of the population riding bikes. Events such as Around the Bay, Great Victorian Bike Ride (just to name a few) organise/promote cycling as a lifestyle and also promote the safe messages. They also lobby for safer bike routes throughout Victoria.
Membership with BV also covers you with personal injury and third party liability insurance and riders' rights support, they make it easy for you to get on the bike and just ride.
Bicycle Victoria

4) Shops
Living in Melbourne, if we ever need anything triathlon related - we are able to buy it quick from a shop. If it is not available, the local bike shop will be able to get it for you in a short time. I know many triathletes out there who don't ever step foot into a shop unless they are to try on things to see how they fit/look in real life and then shop online. I won't hide, there is a cost saving associated with buying goods in Australia online (from overseas) but what I wanted to point out is that we should consider how lucky we are that there are plenty of bike shops around Melbourne. These shops are managed/run by people who love cycling/triathlon - they are supporting what we love doing so I think it is only fair that we show the same level of support for them.

5) Coffee
Melbourne is the coffee capital of Australia. I love a coffee and would drink at least two cups of coffee a day. Not only because I need it to stay awake, I also enjoy the taste and smell of a good brew and the comfortable feeling of holding a warm cup in the between your hands. Triathlon and coffee go together like peas and carrots. Many people either start or end their training with friends over a coffee - sometimes both. I am not an obnoxious coffee drinker - no skinny, soy, decaff, macchiatto - just straight up full fat latte thanks (no sugar). If there is no foam on my latte, its a flat white, I don't really fuss over it.

Some coffee/cafes which I can recommend:
- Blue Bird Espresso on Johnston St, Collingwood
- Main St Cafe - Main St, Mordialloc
- Green Refectory - Sydney Rd, Brunswick

6) Terrain
Melbourne is not pancake flat - it serves some terrain perfect for strength training in cycling and running. A few km away from the CBD and we have Studley Park where you are able to ride a 14km loop with some tricky gradients. Studley and Fairfield parks are also great for running and that's where I do my Sunday endurance runs.

Drive a few hours away from the city centre and you have access to the Great Ocean Road where many cyclist challenge themselves over the rolling hills and climbs. Kinglake, Macedon are also great locations for some hill climbing.

Many people can be seen around the Botanical Gardens (The Tan) where you will find many people running either laps or doing some interval sessions. There is also a short hill around the lap known as Anderson St hill where many hill repeats can be seen.

The Tan

We also have the flat roads where you can see many cyclist on the road. This is known as Beach Rd (although it changes when it goes through Brighton and Port Melbourne). This route is great for a fast pace ride especially when we are in the TTbike phase of our program.

7) The Weather
I do have a love-hate relationship with Melbourne's weather. I actually love its 40+ days but knowing that it will cool down soon is also a nice thought. We do have crazy storms every year and I have done many training sessions in them. It is never pleasant when it is near zero degrees, its windy and its pouring with rain; you are pedalling through because you have to cover X km as part of the program. You are dripping wet from head to toe and you have a headache because you have been shivering so much your jaw sends throbbing beats up the side of your head.

I won't lie, I do comment once in a while that Melbourne's weather is crazy but believe it or not, I wouldn't change it for the world! Training in all types of weather (especially the terrible ones - hot or cold) best prepares you to race in all conditions. So my tip for anyone training in Melbourne, be grateful for the great weather we have, at least we are not training through snow.

8) Training Clubs/Squads
Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia. Triathlon is a popular sport in Melbourne - so much so that the Asian Pacific Championships is held in Melbourne (Ironman Melbourne). No longer do we have to travel to Busselton, Port Mac or Cairns to participate in an Ironman event in Australia. Living in Melbourne, there are over 20 triathlon clubs/squads you can join to help you through your journey. I am with Tri Alliance and have been since the beginning of 2010. Not only is the coaching a great factor about joining a squad, it is also following a program that works, train with others alike yourself but you also get to bounce ideas, advice and give each other support. I have done both the personalised program and the squad. For me, the squad training works better for me as I am an extrovert and love the social aspect of it.

9) Races/Events
We are really spoilt for events in Melbourne, there is a (triathlon related) sporting event on nearly every week. Not all are advertised or organised by the big event companies but they are as good (sometimes better). They ranged from swimming, cycling, running and triathlons. During the summer months, there are triathlon events ran by two major organisations but there are also small triathlon events hosted by local triathlon clubs. Have a look at the Triathlon Victoria calendar and you can pick events to do. During winter, I only do running events such as Run Melbourne, Sandy Point and the Melbourne Marathon festival. I haven't done the cycling events over the last few years as I have moved to long course training and wanted to concentrate on ticking off the program sessions instead.

The fact that I live in a city which embraces health/fitness/sports every day - I see people out running, cycling or even swimming in the bay during winter, I am a very lucky person and should not forget it. I am grateful for all the opportunities given to me. I chose this lifestyle and it makes me so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment