Friday 5 April 2013

The Ironman Triathlon - Respect?

The entries for Ironman Melbourne have finally sold out. Entries were available over 2 days:
  • Tuesday for Triathlon Australia membership holders (sold out in 20min)
  • Thursday for general public (sold out in about 6 hours)
I had secured my place on Tuesday but by the sound of things through social media, this was not the easiest task for most as the server only allowed a certain number of windows opened by people at the one time and if you had multiple windows open, it was taking up a slot. I pretty much had a teleconference at work so I booked out a meeting room and at the same time, entered myself into the 2014 Ironman Melbourne - two things at the same time. Looking at my bank account - I can't believe that I am down to about $20 as I handed over to WTC, $890 for an event which will occur in 12 months time and there is still no guarantee that I will be fit enough part of the starting line...crazy isn't it.

Personally, I have a mission to accomplish and that is to happily state that I have done a full Ironman and I raced it well. I don't believe deep down in my heart that I have done a full ironman distance triathlon and I was far from pleased about my results (of the bike leg). This is something which I need to work on for the next 11 months (post Recovery). After IM Melbourne 2014, I am aiming to also race Busselton in 2014 so this is something which I need to save up enough money for close to Dec 2013.

I respect the Ironman Distance of 3.8km Swim, 180km Ride and a 42.2km run triathlon. This is why I am diligent about my training and committed to giving 100% into the sport (finances included).

The following paragraphs are my own personal opinion so please don't take it personally or harshly
 - there are plenty of people who have signed up to this event without respecting the sport nor do they comprehend the time you need to set aside to train for this event. Sure I know a handful of people who can race an Ironman with little training as they have excellent fitness base or they have their youth - I know of someone in their mid 20s who is an excellent cyclist and has access to the best equipment but has done hardly any swim training and his longest endurance run was 16km....he finished IM Melbourne in a much quicker time than me (yes I am annoyed).

There are also a handful of people who have also signed up to this event as one of their bucket list things to do BUT will put in 100% in training. We had a small group of these gents who joined the squad and their dedication to the sport was admirable.  Their perception of the Ironman triathlon did change dramatically once they started training with us as they learnt so much more about the sport, the hours required and the structure in order to minimise injuries and maximise performance. They wanted to give it a go and they did respected the sport. These guys did very well during 2013 Ironman Melbourne.

Lastly, there are the handful of people who want to do this event but only as a result of a bet/joke/dare or they want to be able to gloat/brag that they have done an event such as Tough Mudder and the natural progression is to jump to an Ironman Triathlon (obviously)...this group of people, I am personally not a fan unless they respect the ironman distance and what is required to get there.

You hear the Ironman term: "Swim 2.4 miles! Bike 112 miles! Run 26.2 miles! Brag for the rest of your life" Brag? To who? Would you seriously brag that you are an Ironman to fellow triathletes? (Can you just imagine doing that to a beginner in a squad?! - terrible isn't it!!!)....Brag to a non-triathlete? Would they really care (as they don't really care much in the first place about triathlon?) What type of reaction do you expect from a non-triathlon person if you do brag?! (I am curious to know)

Personally, I don't brag (purposely) about my training and about my races. I do express my achievements on social media but more of an expression of "Holy crap!! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to ride 100km 5 years ago when I was overweight..." and definitely not in a "Oh yeah, I rode 100km today because I am so much better than you..." I am just super proud of my own achievements, it is not competition and it is not to psych out others in my category (I am just not in that racing mind set).  I am also a supporter of other athletes achieving their goals to - be it doing their first triathlon, riding their longest distance on a bike, their first olympic distance tri through to qualifying for Kona. Supporting others is an important part of triathlon which often does not get recognised or acted upon as triathlon is such a selfish sport.

I have not bragged that I have completed an ironman (and better than anyone else out there) - it is something which I am not comfortable about nor do I feel the need to rub it in people's faces. So signing up for another Ironman race is something which I need to do for myself. If you have signed up for an Ironman race, who/what reasons are you doing this event for? Is "I am doing this as a bet..." a good enough reason why a person is to enter this event? I suppose it is their own $900 and their own hours, I shouldn't be too caught up in it myself but a very small part of me just gets annoyed at these clowns...everyone has their own reasons and they shouldn't be the same as mine, I know.

I don't know how other triathletes feel about what I have just written down...I know that there are many many many facets why one enters such an event. It has been fascinating to learn about them as the days go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment