Monday 7 October 2013

Weekly Reflection 30/09 - 06/10

The week in training hasn't been the hustle and bustle it was suppose to be. The big ride of Sunday 29th Sept killed me and I was dead to the world. I didn't end up swimming on Monday morning with the squad but swam by myself later in the afternoon. I finished the set but it wasn't completed with the love of swimming, rather it was just to get through the set. The ankle is still swollen and so I laid off running until my lame attempt on Thursday night. Windtrainer was good and loving getting back into race pace and in TT position.

Got some abdominal and back cramps on Wednesday morning so I stayed in bed with pain killers for most of the day. When the pain subsided, I had enough strength to head over to the car dealers for a test drive of my next car (fingers crossed) and then to pick up my new wettie for the 2013-2014 season. I decided to try out the Rocket Science Elite wettie. I grabbed a size S and tried it out on Saturday. I might have a go at the XS as I like my wetties tight and I hate collecting water whilst swimming.

I am back doing water running for my running side of things until this swollen ankle stops hurting when I walk. It's not the most interesting thing to do but it gets me through when others are running on the road like a normal human being. After my water running on Sunday, I headed over to Richmond to watch the duathlon. I had a few friends from the squad who were racing.

Mark S, Xavier F, Ryan B and Belinda G - Podium finishers at the Duathlon
It was the first race I have been to since the last Gatorade series in March and so it struck to me that I will be racing a triathlon in about 4 weeks! eeek!

Favourite session of the week: Friday morning endurance swim was my favourite. I love these sessions when I am swimming the long sets without having to get my heart rate up too high doing sprint work. I know I am suppose to do more sprint work but I really do love (just) swimming. We did:

Warm Up - 800m (yeah, loooong warm up)
Main Set - 3 x (4 x 100m @ T3-4, 400m @ T2-3) - consisting of 1st free, 2nd pb & paddles, 3rd Fins
Cool Down - 400 back

Lets just say a large coffee was needed after this swim session.

Oh! Before I forget, Friday was one of the best days for the week. Not only did I have a really good swim session, a great coffeee and breakfast (at my fave after swim haunts - Penny Farthing on High St Northcote) but I also won a Liv/Giant wallet off a competition on Facebook. We had to name 3 Liv/Giant 2014 models - I named Brava (CX), Envie (road) and Trinity (TT). Then a few girls just copied what I said (exactly) and some won wallets too. I don't think many would know what the Brava bike was :)

Least favourite session(s) of the week: I think I had more sessions I didn't enjoy more than I loved....
1) Monday pm swim - not only was I tired, I was just getting through the motions of the set without much intention or positivity.
2) Thursday pm run - 3km of pain and an even more swollen ankle now because of it.
3) Saturday windtrainer (instead of a long ride) - due to my ankle I wasn't confident at being out on the roads with the crazy winds. It was 1.5 hours of windtrainer watching Shawshank Redemption.  

Advice of the week: I am finding that any training session will always be a good one when there is  intention. Take the Monday swim session as an example - I didn't enjoy the session as I was just rolling through the motions of the set. I didn't have an aim, therefore I didn't feel like I achieved any goals of the session. Always ask myself - What do I want to get out of this session?

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: It is recovery again! It is also taper week for the Melbourne Marathon weekend. As I am not doing any real running, I will still do my run sessions but will do them in the pool (water running).

We will also start the summer training timetable this week. This means Thursday night combo session at Elwood - this means open water swims and a windtrainer session!

No comments:

Post a Comment