Monday 21 October 2013

Weekly Reflection 14/10 - 20/10

Post (one of my worst) half marathon weekend ever, my body took a little while longer than usual to recover. I put this down to the lack of recovery after the event due to social commitments. I was on my feet all day and never got a chance to ice the legs nor elevate them.

I forced myself to head to the Monday morning swim session as I needed to brief the newbies at 5:50am. I did plenty of kicking so I don't know if that made things worse. My legs were still sluggish on Tuesday and I didn't put in 100% for my windtrainer session.

I did do Ride to Work on Wednesday - 120min to work and 80min home due to winds and the riding routes (bike paths v road). Thursday was a bit of a non-event. We never got to do a swim session as the storms made the bay unbearable and I ended up doing my own swim session on the Friday evening too.

Saturday, I started my early morning rides (4am start) as I wanted to be finished before I spent hours doing house inspections. I did my long run at Geelong (ran from Waurn Ponds to Kardinia Park and back) as I spent time with the family (its just mum and dad for the moment).

Overall - I did 2 x good pool swims, 1 x open water, 3.5 x ride sessions (counted commute ride to work as 2 sessions (35km each) and the half is for my lame windtrainer) and 1 x lame run session. I haven't done double sessions and slightly panicking that I have my first race in 2 weeks and a Ironman 70.3 in 4. No way am I as fit and ready as I was last year.   

Favourite session of the week: I really enjoyed my commute to and from work on Wednesday 16th as part of Ride to Work day. I didn't really consider this as a training session much, rather a ride on a bike for the enjoyment of it.

Riding into work, I always hesitate with the amount of car traffic on the roads. I left the house at 6:00am knowing that it will probably take is about 2 hours to get in especially with the headwind. To add to this, my legs were still sore from the run. I did get a few magpie swoops but nothing life threatening.

My ride to work route
I am more confident about my ride home. I tend to ride on the roads more as the route that I take often has parked cars and the moving cars are required to travel in another lane, leaving the left lane free for cyclists. We also had a tailwind home which made the ride more enjoyable.

Least favourite session of the week: The Tuesday windtrainer sessions are generally one of my favorites but this week it was just a bleeeeeeeergh session. My legs were still stupidly stiff and sore and just turning them over at T2 was just not what it needed. I stopped after about 30min and went home and got my other bike ready for Ride to Work the next day.

Advice of the week: I am really not good at Active Recovery. My recovery is spent sleeping more often that doing a light session. As my training workouts are generally not as intense/fast as the majority of the squad (I am more of a shuffler than a runner), any further reduction in intensity is pretty much a stand still. I do enjoy sleep and would love another day in the week dedicated for sleeping.

I must be more diligent in active recovery especially doing it in the house or around my own neighbourhood. More often than not, I just don't train when I have a "self scheduled" session.  

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: This weekend will be my last long ride (run off bike) and long run before I head off to Noosa. With coaching on Thursday evening, I am hoping to do something (by myself) on Thursday morning as per program.  


No comments:

Post a Comment