Monday 14 October 2013

The one that hurt....A Race Report (21.1km)

So yesterday, I ran my 3rd half marathon event for 2013. I originally signed up for the full marathon in May of this year but downgraded in July when I faced reality that as much as I wanted to do a marathon and call myself a marathoner, the reality is that I am injury prone and a marathon 3 weeks from Noosa and 5 weeks from Shepparton 70.3 was not a smart move.

As usual, I got injured prior to this event. The injury was not from over training or anything normal like that, it was due to a fall up steep set of steps at the Melbourne Cricket Groun (MCG) during the AFL Grand Final. I twisted the ankle which I always roll and it is also my dominant foot too.

I laid off real running for about 2.5 weeks prior to this event and stuck with water running and still kept with my swim and cycling training.

The days leading up to this event hasn't been the most ideal. This year, I have not concentrated too much on triathlon training as I felt that I let my work slipped off to the degree. Putting more energy into my work profile as a sustainability consultant, I was a finalist into the National Association of Women in Construction awards for Environmental Sustainability. The awards night was on Friday and this meant that I was not able to get a good night sleep, sufficient hydration and not enough carbo loading. 

On the Saturday, I woke up around 9am and did an hour ride on the TT bike. A 45min ride into the headwind travelling 15km and a 20min ride back to the house with the tailwind. I then got ready to run a few errands before I headed into Ausbike.

Saturday night, I tried to eat clean but ended up going to an italian restaurant in Abbotsford (a suburb famous for Vietnamese food) in hopes of a pasta meal. I ended up eating pizza (at 9pm, service was not the fastest).

I stayed in Abbotsford on Sat night (2km from the MCG) as I didn't want to deal with the closed roads and I knew that a ride to the start would be good as a warm up. The ride into the MCG was good and we go there in no time with plenty of bike parking available. I wasn't sure how to mentally prepare for this run on Saturday night. I guess mentally, I had prepared that this was just a long run day.



I dropped off my bag (containing my warm post running clothing and phone) and walked to the start line. I saw one of the guys from the squad there and we just started together.

I stood around the 2:20 pacer as it was so crowded that it was not possible to move up. I have never started this late before and I figured that if I stuck with my strategy that I would aim to pass these pacers.

When the gun went off at around 8:04am, it was just a matter of running past people. I figured that I am just going to run my pace and see how I went. Within the first 2km, I ran past the 2:15 and 2:10 pacers.

I felt good and I tried to push myself as much as I could. I think from this experience, I know that I need to start further at the front (closer to the 1:55 pacers) as I found the pace of the runners around me a bit slow and I found myself pacing with them (not on purpose) and not beneficial for my time.

The run up St Kilda Rd was good and I found my rhythm. I enjoyed the run along this side of the course and knew that I would be seeing familiar faces as the Tri Alliance guys were manning the drink station in Lakeside Drive. Their drink station was packed and I only recognised a few friendly faces. I didn't stop as I carried my own hydration with me.

The run around the lake was good and I really did get into a good pace of about 5:15. Maybe this was my downfall as I used up too much of my energy too quickly.

So from about 13km mark (when we headed back along St Kilda Rd), my legs started to hurt bad! I have never had this sensation before and to make matters worse, something was happening to my feet. It was hard to explain this - it felt like someone stuck electrodes along my feet and sent electric shocks on my feet and my soles and toes were clenched. This on and off sensation went on for about 5km, only on my left foot.

I had to stop and walk a few metres for this sensation and also my right knee started to hurt. It was a soreness which I felt during the run of my Ironman but I wasn't sure if it would go away.

The left turn down the Arts Centre and then through the tunnel was tiring and I was running out of steam whilst in a world of pain. A few people were throwing up on the side of the road which I found to be very scarey.

The run through the park was a relief and I knew that I was about 3km from the finish line. I hate the bridge before the run into the MCG and this year was no different. Mentally, I was defeated and I just didn't even try to run up the bridge. I was too sore to mentally motivate my sorry ass any faster.

The run along the last straight section of the road was uneventful. Previous years, I would always recognise familiar faces but this year, I guess because the Tri Alliance guys were helping out throughout the event - from drink stations, lead and tail runners, marshalling that no was was waiting around. It was also raining too so I guess many were over it.

The run in the MCG felt like the longest it has ever been compared to my previous years. I had no energy to push any faster and I was just so glad that it was nearly over. I did put my arms in the air at the finish line - thanking the heavens that I am done.

After the run, I grabbed a few bottles of powerade (sculled a whole bottle down like no tomorrow) and then went to fetch my bag. The ride back home to Abbotsford was also as much of an adventure - it started to rain like a monsoon. I couldn't see where I was riding and I only had a hoodie to keep me warm.



No soak in the bay or ice bath as I had a personal commitement to a friend so my (lack of) recover has resulted in sore legs. I haven't felt this sore for a long long time.

I went for a swim and did the set this morning - kicking and all and I don't know if that has made things better or worse. Going to make sure that I do active recovery during the week. I don't feel that I have any niggles, just sore muscles.

Are there lessons from this event? Hell yes. What are they and will they be the solution? I don't know.
  • Even though I stuck to my nutrition plan - had a gel every 35min, I still felt sore and tired. It may be due to lack of training rather than any nutritional failures 
  • I need to get to the start line early and start at the right position. Use the others around me to pace. 
  • Mentally, I need to be more discipline and learn to motivate myself when I am not feeling right.
  • No doubts about it, my lack of running training resulted in a not-so-ideal race. 
I am hoping to get back into running training by Thursday night. Fingers crossed that my muscle soreness subside so I can do Ride to Work on Wednesday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment