Friday 11 October 2013

Summer and Nerves

So this week, we officially kicked off the summer training timetable. It was also recovery/taper week so the sessions were lighter.

Due to the busted ankle, I haven't done a run session at all. I did a water run on Monday night combined with swims with the pull buoy. The program had plenty of fins and that would have aggravated my ankle so I did my own session.

I worked from home on Wednesday so I did my own swim session up to a 2.6km (the program was 2.4km) with plenty of pull buoy work and 500m of fins. I pulled up ok but there was still noticeable pain when I twist the ankle outwards.

Thursday night, the weather was sh!t. It was suppose to be out Summer Training Launch with our squad sponsors there but it was cancelled due to the wet weather and people tapering for their big runs on the weekend. I was only planning on swimming last night. Luckily the swim was done before the run session.

It was the 2nd time I have swam with my new wettie and I think I will be changing to a XS as I am more comfortable with a tighter wettie, one which doesn't let too much water in. I found water coming into the wetsuit from the neckline and the arms. I will try the XS on Thursday night.

Last night, the water was not the clearest and the water was not flat (my kind of conditions). The water was cold and we did get frozen faces. Some athletes wore their thermal swimcaps. I personally don't as I don't like the choking feeling around the neck. For long course athletes, we did several pole-pole swims at Elwood. I really did enjoy the waves but my sighting was something to talk about, it wasn't the best. Maybe because I wore the the goggles which I had worn during Ironman Melbourne (and not touched since then). Will need to do some swapping soon.

Elwood - on a nice day
So this Sunday is the Melbourne Marathon festival. I have registered for the half marathon but I don't think it will be my best. I haven't done a proper run in 2.5 weeks and I am feeling more tired than usual. I will be there at the start line, I will be running with my nutrition on me (won't rely on course provisions) and I will be running to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment