Monday 14 October 2013

Weekly Reflection 07/10 - 13/07

I can't believe how the weeks are just flying by and in a few weeks, I will be doing my first triathlon for the season. The week in training was not up to scratch. I stayed off running until my half marathon as part of the Melb Marathon festival. The pain during the 13km mark onwards reflected my lack in training along the running side of things. It hurt like a bitch and I didn't have a good race at all. Race Report will most likely be the next post I do later on today (during my lunch break).

Open water swimming was back on the calendar but the weather hasn't caught up with the summer program as yet :)

Took the TT bike out on the road for the first time since IM Melbourne and it did feel a bit funny being so tall on the bike when I am not in aero position.


My earrings (made out of tubes) and keyring


Went to Ausbike (Bike-related Expo) on Saturday and bought a few things.
  • Earrings and a keyring from Tread and Pedals (they recycle bike parts into usable and wearable things)
  • 2 Castelli jerseys (one long winter one and one thin summer one)
  • 3 Spinerval DVDs ($10 each) and two books on Ironman and Nutrition ($15 for 2).
  • Some more Aussie Butt Cream and sachets (I love the sachets for re-applying during long rides especially after you have a toilet stop).



I am going to re-assess my goals for the 2013-2014 race season as the training over the winter months hasn't been what I had "imagined" it to be especially being so infant in long course racing as well as coming off the big Ironman race in March. I thought I would be a better triathlete but I don't think this will be the case. More on this in another post.

Favourite session of the week: It was my ride on my TT Bike (Dale, the Cannondale) which was my favorite both on the windtrainer (Tues night) and on the road (Sat morning). I had an awards night on the Friday (no, we didn't win) and so I wasn't planning on a 4am ride when I only got home at 11pm. Also having the half marathon to do on the Sunday, I just wanted to test out the TT on the road rather than putting myself through a 120km.

Bento box beneath saddle.
It was a ride into the headwind from Mentone through to Elwood where I stopped to say hello to the short course guys training. It was a 45min ride there (15km) but it was a quick 20min ride back clocking a speed of 45km/hr with the tail wind. Good that it was only a 30km ride. Really miss just riding for the joy of being on the bike.

The bento box below the seat method seems to be working well (so far) so I guess time will tell (practice at Noosa).

Least favourite session of the week: This shouldn't be my least favorite session as I have never considered events to be something which I didn't enjoy but for the first time ever, the half marathon I ran on Sunday 13th was...

I don't know if it was my lack of real running, having pizza the night before (as the Italian place we went to didn't serve pasta....what the hell?!), lack of interval training prior to injury, lack of "putting feet up" the day before the race, lack of mental discipline....or whatever, I just didn't enjoy that half marathon at all....more about the event in my race report.


My half marathon medal

Advice of the week: I didn't get a chance to soak my legs after my half marathon as I had to go to my friend's daughter's 1st bday party and I am really struggling to walk. Major major DOMS at the moment. I haven't felt this way in ages...I am in more pain than after my Ironman (I soaked in ice bath after the Ironman).

When I did get the chance to do so at about 7pm (after party, after packing up, after heading to friends house for coffee, after driving home). The waves were really choppy and I could only soak my calves or up to my butt (nothing in between due to the waves). The rain also made the soak an uncomfortable one.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: This is the first week of the Try-the-Tri program which my squad Tri Alliance has. I have been put down to help out with a few sessions so I am looking forward to meeting more newbies and teaching them about triathlon.

It is also Ride to Work day on Wednesday 16th. Hoping that a)The weather is awesome and b)My DOMS subside enough that I am able to ride properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment