Monday 26 August 2013

Weekly Reflection 19/08 - 25/08

Favourite session of the week: As I mentioned last week, I had a slight change of routine in regards to weekend traing. Instead of doing the usual Dandenong/Kinglake ride, I went to Lorne for the weekend and rode the Great Ocean Rd on Saturday. It was about 90km (Lorne - Apollo Bay return). I didn't do Benwerrin as I didn't want the entire weekend to be about training.

Me, my Wilier and the Great Ocean Road.
I didn't ride to Apollo Bay last training camp and I am glad I did it over the weekend. It took me under 4 hours to do the return trip and I made sure I worked on the strength on the bike and stayed in the large chain ring the entire way. I am well aware that spinning at a higher cadence (on the small chain ring if you need to) is more efficient but I had a purpose there - it was to work on my strength and smooth pedal strokes.

The scenery was once again, beautiful. It never disappointed me once. I was out there by myself - no group pressure, no one but me and my bike on the roads. It was great that I rode away from Lorne at 7am and rode back from Apollo Bay as the traffic started to pick up when I returned and that would have made my ride slightly horrific.


Only one small incident on the roads - it was just a bunch of young men in a convoy of 2 utes and yelled something out the window when they passed me close....it was either yelling that I was too slow or telling the driver to slow down...not sure what it was, all I heard was the word "slow".

Least favourite session of the week: Oh God....I did my 2nd treadmill session on Thursday evening. I was suppose to be down for a coaching session at the Tan with the City group but as it was raining, I had to double check if I was needed as the numbers are always down when the weather turns bad and there is no need for an extra coach on board. The reason why I wanted to check if I was required was that I had rolled my ankles several times post my Sandy Half. Instead of running on hard surfaces, I decided that I would do a short session at the gym instead and spent some time on the rollers and strength work on my ankles and calves.

Still not a fan of the treadmill. I think I must also run with the monitors covered or bring my iPad to watch something interesting. I was so bored.

Advice of the week: Coach Greg had a small talk with the long course group after our main windtrainer set on Tuesday night. He spoke about how he wanted all of us to monitor our bodies especially during double session Tuesday and Thursdays - how much fluids are we losing, how much food are we eating pre, during and post sessions and how much sleep we are getting. He mentioned that sleep is very important to an athlete's success. Elimiate any stress we have (as much as we could) before we lie our heads on the pillow.

Personally for me, getting as much sleep as I could before the next day's session can only happen if I prepare my work and training requirements over the weekend. Not only am I talking about the multiple bags I have to pack, this also includes organising my nutrition ahead of time.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: It's recovery/time trial week! yay! It means that the intensity of the loads are slightly decreased. I might look into commuting into work one of these days instead of doing a training session either on the Tuesday (instead of windtrainer) or the Thursday (instead of run time trial).

No comments:

Post a Comment