Monday 19 August 2013

Weekly Reflection 12/08 - 18/08

Favourite session of the week:
I really enjoyed the half marathon I did on Sunday (18th) as part of the Sandy Point running event. More details on this session will be posted seperately. The conditions for the day was not picture perfect - windy (we are talking strong winds) and a course which was not-so-flat. I still enjoyed it as I had no expectations, I was out there to enjoy a run on Beach Rd.

Least favourite session of the week:
My fingers in hyper-extension.
This is what it looks like when I use paddles
and don't "press"down on them.  
Due to my hypermobility, I have pain in my fingers whenever I use paddles for a long period of time (more than 400m or so without breaks). This is because I need to grip down on my paddles whenever I use them to keep the paddles straight. If not, my fingers "flap" or bend backwards which creates resistance between the paddles and my fingers. I was having some trouble trying to keep a happy medium between the two and found it frustrating when I receive polarised advice from different coaches and having to adapt to both depending on which coach is present. It is none of their faults, it is just a personal battle I have and trying to improve on my technique whilst dealing with joints which hyper extend.

Advice of the week:
I am using these mini events during the off season to trial different race and nutrition strategies. For nutrition wise, I did do a bit of carbo loading the night prior to my long run with extra half a cup of rice and drank gatorade. During the run, I tried as much as I could to hold the technique even though it hurt like a bitch. Post race, I had some of my egg cups (eggs, pumpkin, bacon pieces in omelette mix, baked in muffin tray) and a banana. I have stopped taking processed supplements for the time being (Optimizer and other recovery powders) and just taking everything back to basics and more homemade.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week:
I will be varying my training this weekend. I am looking forward to a change of scenery and routine. More info on this once I know what is being planned for (not by me).

No comments:

Post a Comment