Tuesday 13 November 2012

5 More Days - Control the Controllable

With 5 more days until my first half ironman, I would like to share some of the things which have not been going my way leading up to this day (nothing to do with training).

Wheels
I purchased a set of racing wheels in early October through a bikeshop (not an online purchase). Due to my little Asian legs, I am on a Xsmall 47cm Cannondale Slice which has 650c Wheels. 650c wheels are smaller in circumference, more rare and hence, more expensive to purchase to due the "manufacture based on demand" circumstances. I have been researching into wheels for the last 12 months - tossing up between Zipps, Schnell and Hed. I ended up going for the HED brand based on price as well as reviews on performance/value for money. I decided against tubulars as no SAG wagon ever carries spare 650 wheels/tyres. With clinchers, I am able to use my existing tubes and there is nothing different in the method of fixing flats.

I opted for HED 6 for the front and HED 9 for the back (6cm and 9cm rims). I placed the order in for these wheels on the 9th Oct and the bikeshop promised that they would be ready within 2 weeks. Well lets just say, as I write this entry, it would be close to 5 weeks and the wheels have not yet arrived. The suppliers have said that they will provide me with a loan pair to use this weekend but I have no idea what type I will have. The bikeshop said that the wheels will be available late next week which (if they do eventually turn up) would have taken close to 6 weeks to arrive. I have expressed my displeasure at this process (not having the wheels arrive within the 2 weeks as promised and being dicked around on more than one occasion.

Fingers crossed that my wheels will eventually turn up and I will race with them for the remainder of the season.

Waiting on Thursday/Friday for the demo/loan wheels to arrive to re-assess what I will do on race day - I will have 2 options:
1) Race with my current wheels and I have been doing all my training mileage with them
2) Try the racewheels out on Sat and if they are ok, use them

Trust my luck, the suppliers will either give me basic wheels to use or the wheels will be 700c and will be useless to me.

Tri-Shoes
My current tri-shoes Shimano WT-51 are ready to go to shoe heaven. As I wash my shoes after every race, they are completely destroyed. I noticed that the velcro straps have come off the shoes and I had to stitch it by hand prior to using them for Noosa. I should also add that these shoes are also 1 size too big for me and so the straps actually come off half way during races as they are being opened up by the cranks of the bike.

I ordered a pair of WT-52 in size 37 but due to Shimano releasing their WT-53 (in Feb 2013), they have stopped supplying WT-52. I had ordered a pair in October so that I could use them for Noosa but it wasn't until yesterday, I was told that they are not available.

Good news is that I know that another bike shop has WT-52 in 37 and I have told them that I will buy them on Thursday. Not wanting to try anything for the first time on race day, I may have a chance to try them out on Sat when we re-con the course. Currently, I have 2 options - race with my WT-51 with some modifications to the shoes (last night I cut the straps short so they wont rub against my cranks and re-sewn the velcro straps to the shoes) or race with the new WT-52.

As you read the two things above, you might say "what is this girl worrying about?!" - well, if you have both anxiety and OCD tendencies, it is a pretty big deal considering that this is my major A race for 2012. Small things that are not right are magnified and stresses me out as they are things which I could not control and have not gone my way.

5 more days, the race briefing is on tonight after windtrainer. I am coaching the sprint guys tonight but will opt out of doing some of the sets as I am only to be doing a taper set with the long course group.

A few athletes whom I have bumped into the last few days (that I don't see at training) have wished me luck for the weekend - just a gentle reminder of that this race this weekend is a big deal to me and it is becoming real.

All that stress aside, I know that I am ready for this race - I have done my training over the last 6months+. I can't wait for it (to be honest) - it is going to be such a great day. I promise that I will have a smile on my face from start to finish.

Current race weight - 56.7kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment