Friday 26 October 2012

Racing - It's coming!

Within the last few weeks, we have noticed a buzz of excitement and nervousness from the squad - especially for the first timers.

The term first timers applies to all of us - our first triathlon season, our first sprint distance, our first olympic distance, our first half ironman or our first full ironman. I guess we are all a bit nervous and anxious as we are all stepping into an unknown territory and comfort zone.

Ask 99% of the people who train throughout the winter months with the squad, we all really enjoy training through winter. It gets us out off the couch, we are all doing something good for our bodies and we are doing it in the company of like-minded people. Most of us dislike the actual race but we still need it as a goal! I dislike it as it brings out the worst of my anxiety. I also don't enjoy it as it also brings out the (not so nice part) in some people's personalities - how competitive they are. I don't enjoy the competitiveness between squad members and this is something which the coaches remind us all the time to avoid - as it brings out the animosity which is not the atmosphere we want at Tri Alliance.

My first actual triathlon race for 2012-2013 will be happening in 9 more sleeps. It is the Noosa Olympic Distance triathlon held up in QLD (1.5km swim, 40km ride, 10km run). This will be the 2nd time I have participated in this event and my 3rd Olympic Distance Tri.

Speaking to Coach Greg, he wants me to just use this event as a training race. He said to forget about my goal of going under 3 hours as the main focus of the race but race to how I feel and how I would race Shepparton 70.3 two weeks after Noosa.

I will be arriving in Noosa on Wednesday 31st Oct (early). I guess we will just settle in, buy any essentials we need for the next few days and then it will be the start of the training-holiday. We will have an open water swim session in the afternoon over the course which is always good to get familiar with what to spot and where to swim.

Thursday will be a 2 hour ride for Long Course athletes in the morning, rest/recover and then a long run in the afternoon 1-1.5 hours.

Friday, a (very) early morning long (3-4 hour) ride for LC with 20-30 min run off the bike, race registration from 3pm onwards and then it is the swim briefing again followed by a Tri Alliance race briefing.

Saturday will be Tri Alliance photo shoot followed by a very very very easy training session followed by our Tri Alliance pre-race breakfast. Bike check in from 10am onwards (will be doing it late like last year to avoid bikes being moved).

Sunday - race day! (followed by easy 30-45min run after race for LC - not 100% sure on how this is possible). Post race activities will kick off from 4pm onwards.

Monday - afternoon swim

Tuesday - LC will be riding for 1.5 - 2 hours plus a run off the bike. I am not planning on joining in the Melb Cup party so I will use this time for blog updates or just lying on the beach to get an even tan.

Wednesday - Swim in the morning, fly back to Melbourne.

My race start is 8:05am (about an hour later than last year) - flouro yellow swim cap. Hopefully I will be finished before 11am. Fingers crossed I will not be spending too much money at the expo this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment