Thursday 3 May 2012

Its all about technique!

The reason why I love May is that we get to work on our technique for Swim, Bike and Run before we load up the hours and distance.

Tuesday night's WT Session was a prime example of working on the basics of bike riding. Having been through 2 winter seasons already with the club (this being my 3rd), I was very familiar with what the program entitled. We did a basic warm up set followed by some single leg work. You will be surprised that many people can't/don't ride single leg. This is the ability to not only push down on the pedal but also to pull up on the stroke. The placement of your feet angle is also important - you should be riding in a J curve. This gives us the skill to be able to ride on the road. When we are about to ride off (at the lights for example), we have one foot in the pedal but the other is used for support. Once we push off the pedal foot, we need to be able to balance and cleat the other foot in. You will have some moments where you can't cleat in properly but you will need to keep the momentum of the bike (up and going forward) - you will need to ride single leg.

The second part of the windtrainer was working on increasing the gears. As my Squeeky only had 8 speeds, I had to ride the hardest gear 3 times (it was a 10 gear set).

As it is Build month, we only had to do a 10min cool down after the build set and that was it! - sweet, finished in 40min! We did a good stretch session and some core work. The core work proved to be good as my abs were sore on Wednesday! Planking = Love/Hate

I also did the Wednesday evening swim at MSAC.
WU - 2 x (100 free, 50 breast, 50 back), 2 x (100 sculls)
MS - 6 x (50 fingertrail, 50 free), 6 x (50 pb, 50 kick)
CD - I only did 200m back.
Total distance of 2km

I really have to add that I am so bad at skulling! I don't know if it is my technique or my small hands and arms but I was just getting no where! Must seek advice on this. I am also hopeless in breast stroke too.

Tonight is a run session at the Tan and I am also coaching but it will be a small 8km set but we will include core work with it. Legs are starting to fatigue. My guess is the amount of kicking we did last night as part of the swim set and the lack of movement over the month of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment