Monday 30 April 2012

You want me to "Monkey Scratch?!"

This morning, I decided to do the beginners swim session at MSAC instead of the intermediate swim session tonight. This month is all about working on technique and the load is "back to basics".

The beginners swim session is in the indoor 25m pool (which annoys me) but at least the group is small and it gives Coach Ryan a chance to coach us properly.

Monkey Scratch - Note the fingers to
armpits and high elbows
We started off by doing a warm up - 100m free, 4 x 25 kick, 100 back. The main set was all about working on specific techniques. We did 4 x 50 shark fins (swimming with arms down the side and turning our shoulders upwards to breathe and at the same time, forming a shark fin with our elbows), then it was 5 x 50 monkey scratch (a step up from shark fin where we drag our fingers up the side of our bodies and give ourselves a little scratch on our arm pits before dragging our fingers to the front), then it was 4 x 50 fingertip drags (with pb). We ended the main set with 100m back before the cool down which was 4 x 100m free. All in all, the set was only 1.45km - it was a pretty easy set compared to the 3.5km I was doing at the peak of the season. I guess the set would be close to the 2km mark if I was doing the intermediate swim sessions but I will play it by ear. I really want to work on my technique this year and get that down pat!

I have also signed up to do the 5 week Swim program with Ryan too to work on my technique. These sessions will be on Saturday afternoon which means that I may miss out on the Hawthorn v Richmond game on the 26th May. Carn the Hawkers!


No comments:

Post a Comment