Wednesday 9 May 2012

Strength and Core - the good, bad and the ugly!

Strength and core work is something which I have been neglecting ever since I started doing triathlons. I use to go into the gym at least twice a week for 30-45min and use the machines there to work on strengthening my arms, shoulders, legs, glutes followed by core work on the floor as part of a cool down (as instructed by the gym PT).

I stopped my gym membership after joining Tri Alliance as the weekly gym membership was no longer affordable and I just didn't have any spare time in between training, working, sleeping and eating to head into a training environment I don't enjoy.

Due to my flexibility (I am hyper-mobile) - I actually need to do more strength work so that I am able to hold my body properly through swimming, cycling and running. The other reason (and more important one) is that I need the strength training is so that my joints don't pop out as I have seen recently - my shoulders due to swimming, my knees and my hips due to cycling and running. The ligaments have been stretched and grinding against other joints - causing pain when I am in the pool and over long runs. I have a few things at home such as bands and some hand weights which may be able to help but I think in the long run (and for Shepparton preparations) I will have to join a gym again *hesitation*.

Core work is also important for a triathlete. It helps us hold our posture properly and it also helps with our technique. I admit upfront that I don't know much about physiology but I know that for me, I really have to work hard at my core strength so my abs and back are able to support my spine and keep my body stable and balanced.

 My Transverse Abdominis (TA) muscles (the ones which you don't see) but are one of the most important muscles - helps with stability and protects the spine. One (ugly) exercise which I have been doing (whilst watching TV or browsing on my iPad or phone) is lying on my back with my knees bent (neutral spin position) and drawing my belly in and doing a holding my pee action. The other exercise is to do planks. I have been doing about 2-5 reps x 1min planks per night.

I have pretty good External Obliques and can hold side planks more comfortably than front ones. The Rectus Abdominals are the front muscles commonly known as the six-pack and this comes with a reduction of body fat. This won't happen for me as my stomach area is where I store my fat. I am satisfied that if I get strong TA then it will help me with my training. Having a six pack is more for the image that you are lean but I never show off my stomach area anyway.  

I just have to remember to do these exercises on a daily basis - that is the hard part.

No comments:

Post a Comment