Monday 7 May 2012

SKULL-ING....

......No...not that skulling, we are talking about sculling (in swim training). For this morning's swim session, it was all about sculling. I have mentioned previously in my posts that I am not a fan - because I don't know what I am doing really. This morning, it was all to do with feeling the water:

WU - 2 x (100 free, 50 kick, 50 back).
MS - 4 x (50 fists, 50 palms, 100 free), 200 free, 4 x (25 front scull, 25 free, 25 back scull, 25 free), 100 pb touch.
CD - 200 back

Ryan gave an option to use fins as part of the fist/palms/free set but using fins didn't help me feel the water as I was rushing through the water too quick. I decided to opt for the pull bouy (pb) instead. I must do more of these sets so I am able to push through the water more with my forearms. The technique I would have to keep in mind is the high elbows as part of the catch phase as this helps with the whole resistance in the water.

On Saturday, there was a semi-planned memorial ride from Black Rock to St Kilda which started at 8:30am(Not part of Tri Alliance). The difference between this memorial ride and the one we did as part of JC's was that ours was a controlled group. We reminded everyone about the road rules, we stated that it was a slow memorial ride, we planned this ride on a Friday (during business hours) so it wasn't part of the usual weekend cycling chaos, there was to be no "over taking", we rode in pairs, we all were signalling and if you didn't want to abide by these rules, you were to go home. Unfortunately, we saw all the rules broken on Saturday. It only takes a few idiots out there to ruin what was meant to be a good ride to pay respects to a well known cyclist.
As part of the Tri Alliance scheduled training ride, we were all to meet at ELSC at 7:15 for a 7:30am roll out. I rode from my house at about 6:30am, with fatigued legs I arrived at ELSC at about 7:10am. The group was pretty big but we were eventually split up into groups with traffic lights. From ELSC, we rode up to Port Melbourne then we headed towards Mordialloc.

On route to Mordi, we witnessed so much ill behaviour from cyclists. There were just too many out on the road (partially due to the semi-nice weather). Many rode more than two abreast and had cyclists (riding more than 2 abreast) over taking these groups - this meant that at some places, cyclist took up more than a single lane and not allowing a space for cars to move through. The mood on the road was tense. I had cars tooting their horns at me for no apparent reason but just being a cyclist. It wasn't pleasant as situations like these lead to more tension on the roads as these motorists will talk about moments like these to their peers and spread their bad experiences. I was shaking my head through the rides as I witnesses so many people just not obeying road rules. Many people don't know how to hold their line in a pelaton, swerving from side to side erratically, riding too close to the wheel in front, braking sporadically. I couldn't wait for the ride to finish just so I could get off the road.

Sunday was a planned long endurance run. I wore my new trail running shoes and did a steady 7km run around Lysterfield Lake. I really enjoyed the run as I was surrounded by trees and dirt rather than bitumen, cars and dog poo. It was a planned slow run as I really wanted to wear in the shoes and get my technique right. The Liquid hydration pack I received as a gift was not good for running as the plastic parts of the straps were digging into my back - bad design! Will need to trial the profile drink belt next week to see if it is any better, if not then I will have to invest in a good hydration pack like a Camelbak.

The first week of training started off great. This coming week will be week 2 - similiar to last week.

As I swam this morning, I am planning to ride home on Squeeky tonight and riding back to work in the morning as the Tuesday run sessions don't start until June.

No comments:

Post a Comment