Saturday 11 January 2014

Weekly Reflection 30/12 - 05/01

Post Hell Week Challenge, I have been doing some recovering and light training to welcome in the New  Year. I did a good open water swim session on the 1st of Jan and have kept up with strength and core sessions when I was not able to do the normal swim sessions. I have seen a Physio about my shoulder and the niggles are as per my previous incidences. After a massage from the Physio, the pain has subsided significantly but I am weary about doing any session with paddles. 

I did my long ride and long run sessions by myself to fit in with family/partner commitments and with watching the baycrits on Sunday. I also did some "just riding" on my new CX bike over the holiday break and enjoyed it very much. 

Mon and Tues, rest and recover. Wednesday - openwater swim and ride CX. Thurs - ride CX bike to Elwood and back. Fri - rest  from training and visited friends and their kids (infants and new borns). Sat - long ride (120km). Sun - long run (15km). 

Favourite session of the week: I loved my long run session. My program was 15km but was advised to see how I am feeling (knees) and 10km was sufficient if I was not feeling 100%. I am happy to report that I did a 15km and felt good. I carried on my run, my water flasks and my nutrition (homemade recipe of 50% rice malt syrup, 30% honey and 20% black strap molasses, lemon juice and salt). I am testing out my Garmin to alert me to when I should be consuming nutrition. See for Melbourne (IM), the stations are set at 2km and I am planning on consuming a gel every 2nd aid station (like last year)....or I could set my alarm at every 300Cal or I could set my alarm at every 30min...not sure what is the best strategy, I guess it would depend on the conditions for the day. After the long run, I went and had a soak at Mentone beach for about 15min but the water has been getting warmer and I must look into buying a 200L plastic drum soon or a baby pool to do my soak.

Least favourite session of the week:  I didn't really have a session I didn't enjoy for the week. I won't search for one for the sake of a weekly reflection.

Advice of the week: I have decided for this year's long rides that I am going to ride laps instead of a long out and back. I have mentioned before - most of the races I do consists of riding laps (Challenge being 3 laps) to build strength in mental discipline. So far so good. Melbourne is also notorious for being windy and like last year's race, I had to deal with the headwind for 75% of my race. I want to ride during these hard conditions and ride by myself (not drafting off others). This is my race, my journey, my efforts.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: It will be my last week of holidays (going back to work on the 13th). My brother comes back from Iraq for a week to visit so I am looking forward to some family time too.

Something which I am looking forward to post March 2014 is getting some bike skills with riding the mountain bike and CX bike. In only a few rides, I am already feeling more confident on the bike and turning with more confidence. I guess with Busselton (in 2015), I will need to be confident in doing turns as there is a few of them on that course.

No comments:

Post a Comment