Monday 13 January 2014

In 10 weeks....

In 10 weeks, fingers crossed, I would have completed my 2nd Ironman. The race is on the 23rd March of 2014.

Unlike last year, I really haven't posted much on my thoughts about this race. From Sept 2012 to March 2013, I was training for my first Ironman. Added to that, I only took up long course training and racing within 2012. I reflected much on how my mind and body was coping with the training load and demands of the Ironman race.

The months within 2013 have flown by quick and it was only last night that someone mentioned that we have 10 weeks until the big race. In terms of training, there would probably be around 7 or 8 more long rides and runs left before we start to taper for the big day.

Personally, I am more relaxed about this Ironman than my first. Not because I am already a finisher (it is still a hard event to do), in my heart I know that I can now complete this event. I know that my training load has been around 60% compared to what I did last year, I know that it will hurt so I am not placing any high expectations.

My first aim is to finish (firstly, starting with the full 3.8km swim, unlike the 1.5km completed in 2013). If I get a PB in the bike and the run, I will be satisfied. Towards the end of the ride last year, I was so over the bike leg as I was caught up in the wind change (ended up riding back to Frankston into the headwind for 40km) and a goal time of 6-6:30 (with a ave speed of 28-30km/hr) became 7:30. I was heart broken by the end of the 180km. I enjoyed the run as I was on the way to the finish line, no more to do for the day. Even though I finished my first marathon in 5:05, it was my first and I was grateful that my legs held it together for that long. I don't have super high goals for Ironman 2014 but I would be ecstatic if I finish under 13 hours.

Between now and the 23rd March, I still have to train, lets not forget about that. There is Challenge Melbourne (1.9km/90km/21.1km) on the 2nd Feb, (fingers crossed) a team event for Geelong 70.3 where I am doing the 1.9km swim and the 90km ride on the 9th Feb and the Big Bay Swim 3.2km on the 23rd Feb (will be doing my long run in the afternoon).

So far, I am haven't been and will not be dwelling on race weight. I am concentrating on building my strength and if my body fat % decreases, it will be a bonus. As I had already paid for 2 further sessions of the BodyScan in advanced, I will be booking in for an update (for information only). I am eating real foods and have also been consuming homemade gels during training. As long as I am healthy and get through the races without feeling like I am about to fall to pieces, I will be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment