Tuesday 28 January 2014

Weekly Reflection 20/01 - 26/01

Another week of training, another step closer towards Ironman. The week that just passed was filled with more good sessions than ones which were not (bonus). Monday started out with a swim in the afternoon at GESAC. I wanted to work more on my band-work in the pool (at my own pace) and to have a stronger core. It was recovery week but there are still extra sessions on for the long course guys. Windtrainer was a good sessions and one of my best for the week. If people ran in the morning, they would do the windtrainer sessions with recovery in mind whilst people who didn't (inc me) would focus more on strength and endurance. EEK!

The session was long and I worked my little butt off. It was the first session with the new tri bike which I have named Foxy (after the Jimi Hendrix song Foxy Lady). I didn't get a good night sleep on Tuesday night and decided to take Wed off swimming as I needed to do a few things at work and at my old place ready to get ready to be rented out.  

I worked from home on Thursday so I had a gym session in the morning (treadmill run + strength session) followed by coaching in the afternoon. We had Scott from XO size down doing demos for the rocket science wetsuits for the Tri Challange athletes.

Rocket Science Wetsuit - I have Elite as the Aquasense didn't come in XS
We spent an hour or so teaching them about porpoising and how to swim out and back in. It was great fun! Sessions like these are great for beginners as it includes little tips and tricks which you would never think about when we are training for a triathlon without any assistance. 

Friday was all about endurance (swimming) with pull buoys, paddles and fins. Loved it. The pool was clean this time around, no poo visible.

As it was recovery week, the Sat ride on the program was shorter, so it was a 130km instead of 150km. Once again, the start to the ride didn't get off to the best start, I forgot my helmet at first for about 500m out the door, then I noticed that my drink bottles were not on the bike the 2nd time I headed out the door. 3rd time lucky!

I decided to do my long run at about 9:30am as I wanted to run when the temperature was warmer. A 24km run was broken down into a bit like this:

0 - 2km - feeling OK, this was where I started to warm up more. In my mind, was looking forward to the long run and reaching a further distance along Nepean Hwy before the turn around.  
2 - 17km - feeling awesome. Held a steady pace and had my nutrition at every 4km (around 20-25min). My turn around point for this day was Chelsea Station (10km from the end of Charman Rd along Beach Rd, 12km from my house)
17 - 20km - started to slow down as the temp started to rise above 30 degrees (C).
20 - 24km - wow! hurt but pushed through to finish.

It took me nearly 2:45 to finish 24km. Towards the end, the temperature affected me. As I had been running with saltstick, I still need to remember to take them at the right time.

Favourite session of the week: Windtrainer on Tuesday evening. Worked on strength and endurance and didn't care/think/worried about how hard the session was. Just finished through with everything I had! I loved this session as I kept positive all the way through.

Least favourite session of the week: The long run on the Sunday was not my best but I am still glad that box was ticked. I had two incidences on the run which I didn't particularly liked.
1) A car turning left nearly ran me over (I had the right of way crossing the street and I was actually in the middle of the road in between the middle island and the curb on the other side). He then proceeded to abuse me verbally and with his horn. Two other people near by came to my help and started to tell the driver off. Yeah I didn't have the most graceful fall but the thought of the driver who thought he had the right of way and would probably proceed on whinging to others about people crossing the road played on my mind for a bit on the run.
2) Got attacked by a random dog who ran out of the property which gave me a short fright. Had to stop mid run to usher the dog back to the gate.

Advice of the week: Start the day with a sense of purpose and end everyday with a sense of accomplishment. I am using this motto for every task I do from training through to work.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: This is the last week before my Challenge Melbourne race on the 2nd Feb. I am looking forward to participating in this inaugural event. The forecast for this is high 30s....fingers crossed for an awesome day!


No comments:

Post a Comment