Monday 30 December 2013

5-Day Reflection 16/12 - 20/12

I had to change things up a bit (and delayed publishing) as I had been busy with Hell Week (more about this in my next post), last week of work, moving house (yes, I am still moving), Christmas and my bday. I won't go into too much detail about the training schedule of Hell Week in this post. This post should have been done by the 20th Dec but I ended up having a busy day at work and preparing my things for Hell Week.

So during the last week of work (16th Dec - 20th Dec), there were a few ups and downs. I found out that the Moonee Ponds couple who were murdered (both with multiple stab wounds) was actually people I knew. I wasn't close to them but I have spent several years of Christmas lunches with them as they (Korrine) was a cousin of an ex boyfriend during 2006 - 2009. I didn't end up going to their funeral but I sent my condolences to the families. They left behind 3 young kids under 5 and as far as I know, they are being taken care of by family. Her mum (my ex's aunty) had passed away a few years ago.

In terms of training, it was probably one of the best training week I had in a while. As there was no swim session on Monday, a few of us decided to do an open water swim at Elwood. I ended up swimming 1.5km and loved it! Tuesday's windtrainer session was good. I made sure that I was pushing beyond my comfort zone and made sure that I was consistent in my efforts. Wednesday morning was the last swim session at Northcote for 2013 and the session was worthwhile. We did a big set of 800m warm up (various) followed by 2 x 400m (pull buoy, band and paddles), 2 x 300 (fins and bands - like a dolphin), 2 x 200 (pull buoy, bands and paddles), 2 x 100 (fins), 2 x 50m (no toys at T4 pace). We ended the session with a slow 200 cool down. After a few weeks off swimming due to injuries (swollen joints due to over hyper mobile stretch) and a cold, using paddles in the swim was tough!

Thursday was a 40 degree day and I ended up swimming 1.5km without a wetsuit and loved every moment. It was nothing but me and the waves. Complete bliss. Friday ended up being a day off training as Hell Week started on the 21st of Dec.

Favourite session of the week: All of them! It was hard to pick but if I had it, it would be the Thursday afternoon 1.5km open water swim without the wetsuit.

Least favourite session of the week: Well, I think I over did the swimming for the (5 day) week - 1.5km on Monday open water, 3+km on Wednesday with some paddle work and 1.5km open water again on Thursday, my shoulders did not enjoy the swim as much as I did. (More on this in my Hell Week post).

Advice of the week: Balance! I have tried to not injure myself again from running so I have been increasing my hours (and efforts) in the pool and bike. I don't think I have the balance right as I couldn't do much swimming during Hell Week due to tendinitis in the shoulders.

I also have to learn how to balance work and triathlon better so I don't disappoint either sides. I don't want to go into too much detail - my pay review was more along the lines of.... no pay rise as you have not satisfied the requirements.

Thing I’m looking forward to next week: Hell Week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment