Tuesday 11 December 2012

Things I cannot live without as a triathlete (1)

1) Aussie Butt Cream - http://aussiebuttcream.com/
For the non-Australians reading this post, in Australia we have an (Australian) chamois cream called Aussie Butt Cream. I was introduced to this product by a friend of mine who gave it to me one Christmas (yeah, I am a true triathlete who receives gifts such as these...) I use both the tubes (have them next to the toilet so it can be applied after my last toilet stop before heading out the door) and the small convenient packets which can be stored in the back of my jersey so I can re-apply on long rides. The product can be found in most Australian bike shops but I always stock up at Ausbike. Not only do I apply this product on my chamois, I also use it around my neck to prevent chaffing from my wetsuit and sometimes on my feet to prevent blisters.

2) Up and Go (Vanilla Ice) - http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/breakfast/up-and-go
Although this product is sometimes referred to as "Up and Shit" amongst my circle of friends. It is a dairy drink which contains maltodextrin which I take prior to my early morning swims. It provides me with enough energy to get through a morning swim set without the need to have a breakfast. It is what I am accustomed to consuming in the morning prior to my 45min drive to the pool and my OCD personality would not change this for anything - even when I have to go to the toilet as soon as I get there...

3) 1000 Mile (Trainer Liner) socks - http://www.1000mile.co.uk/running/1000-mile-ultimate-tactel-trainer-liner-sock/prod_48.html
It was after one of the years I did the Run for the Kids event, I attained massive blisters on both of my feet and that lead me to use these socks after doing some research on how 2 layers of socks can prevent blisters from occurring. I have used these since 2010 and have never looked back or had as much success with other brands.

4) My Garmin Forerunner 310XT, 910XT http://sites.garmin.com/forerunner910xt/?lang=en&country=AU#
My first Garmin was a 310XT, prior to training with this watch, I had no idea what my cadence, speed or distance I was doing. If you are a beginner to the sport, it is also hard to know what my perceived effort is. I am a numbers person so I do rely on this watch in my training for rides as well as my runs (less on the swim) and to also track my calories for refuel requirements. My 310XT failed on me in Aug 2012 and this is when I upgraded to the 910XT. The watch is slightly slimmer (and I am current not using quick release) and the watch allows you to store up to 7 bikes (of which I have 3 programmed in - Dale (TT), The Italian (Road) and Squeaky (old road for commuting). These computer watches are amazing!! If you are getting into the sport, I highly recommend getting one of these.

5) Original Source (Mint & Tea Tree) Shower Gel http://www.originalsource.com.au/skin-care-products/mint-and-tea-tree-shower-gel
After swim in the pool, chlorine is the last thing I (and my fellow workmates) to smell and this is a shower gel which I have used for the last 12monts+ after my swim sessions. The minty smell I just love and it does clean off the chlorine well enough (otherwise it does a bloody good job at masking it).

6) My iPhone
It is not only a phone, it is also my access to internet 24 hours a day, portable music player, camera and my alarm clock - can't live without my iPhone.

7) My Rocket Science Timing Band http://www.rocketsciencesports.com/index.php/women/accessories/timing-chip-strap-unisex.html
After racing several seasons with blisters and blood around my ankles from the velcro strap of the timing chip, I finally purchased a neoprene ankle strap from XOSize. The best $10 spent - no more blood or blisters.

8) Ear Drops
Some some reason, water gets lodged inside my ears whenever I swim (pool or open water), so whenever I can, I use ear drops to clear the water out. Clearing out water prevents swimmers ear (infections) as well as allowing you to hear. Go to your local chemist to see what is available - they are relatively cheap. I have even started to use it in T1. They are made out of alcohol and the way it works is that you tilt your head to one side, drop a few drops of the liquid into your ears, wait about 3 seconds and tilt your head the other way and the water evaporates our fast. Whilst you have tilted your head to empty out the fluid, do the other side.

9) Protein Shaker Bottles
I use the ones with a spring ball inside to help with the mixing of powder and liquid. I have used several types of shakers and I find that with the spring ball hitting the sides of the container it mixes better. They are relatively cheap and I just buy a bulk set (of 6) from Ebay.

10) Zip Lock Bags
I use these bags in different sizes for different purposes. Sandwich size bags are used to keep phone, cards and some money in and is carried around when I am on the bike Larger size bags are used to store clothing (wet separate from dry) for various purposes. Smaller bags are used to store food (as you are constantly eating) and when travelling, you can carry your protein powder needs without carrying the entire container.

This is one of the most important things to have and I highly recommend it. Many people say that they have their emergency contact on their phone - this is not sufficient as you don't carry your phone with you everywhere you go (swim?!) and also a phone is something which can be damaged easily (falling off your bike). They are not expensive and I recommend the wrist bands (rubber ones). I recommend the following information on the ID:
  • Name, Year of Birth
  • Emergency Contact(s) (make sure that the emergency contact(s) knows that they are your emergency contact, keep this contact up to date and ensure that they are living in the same city if possible)
  • Medical Conditions or Allergies to medication
  • Blood Type and if you are an organ donor (your choice).
This wrist band is not only recommended for triathletes, cyclists or runners, it is also recommended to be worn by children too.

Hope you have enjoyed this blog entry. I will have more of this coming up and I take note of the little things I use for triathlon training and racing.


Author's note - This entry is not intended to be product reviews nor is it paid endorsements.

No comments:

Post a Comment