Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Journey begins (and Hell Week)

*cue dramatic music*

This is Build Week 1 and the start of my Ironman First Timer program. I am planning on doing all the sessions as per the program this week. As per Ollie's advice on Thursday night last week, the first few weeks is all about conditioning (the body and mind) to do the load. The must sessions are highlighted in bold below:

Monday am - Swim, pm Pilates
Tuesday am - Run, pm Windtrainer
Wednesday am - Swim, pm Pilates/Yoga
Thursday am - Run, pm Swim/Windtrainer combo
Friday am - Swim
Saturday am - Long Endurance Ride 5 hours +
Sunday am - Long Endurance Run

The difference between the Ironman Program and what I had been doing over the last 3 or so years is that I no longer of sleep-ins during Recovery week. Tuesday am and Thursday am will be active recovery instead of a no sessions. In the new year, I will also be taking Thursdays off work (February - March) so that I am able to rest/recover before the next 3 days of endurance training.

We have the Tri Alliance Hell Week coming up from the 22nd - 29th Dec (excl Christmas Day). As per our program (not as what is highlighted on the page) - do 2 options per day. For most days, I will do the ride and option of run off the bike or swim. For my bday (falls in the middle of Hell Week), I will have a sleep in and do a run and swim later in the day.

I really enjoy Hell Week as one of the guys in the squad posts Motivational Posters with topics relating to Hell Week and other insider jokes that happen during the week.

Here are some examples of posters from last year.



When one of the guys in the squad complained about how tired he was

Fish found at Brighton

Brighton Beach - on a good day


When Paddy had to deliberately fall to allow for another athlete to merge safely

For the disgusting parmas served at Sandringham Hotel after a swim session
Consistency and not over doing it is the key for Hell Week. As I have holidays from 22nd Dec - 13th Jan, I will take advantage of training and recovering in between sessions. The training timetable gets back into swing again on the 2nd January (recovery week).

I have been advised to consider if I am going to enter into the Sandringham Olympic Distance as I really need to do my long ride and long runs leading up to Ironman Melb and if I was to race Sandy, I will need to train through it without tapering or recovering.

The new year will be interesting. Looking at moving out of Mentone so I can be closer to training facilities and to move into a bigger place with a garage/shed and a proper kitchen. Have to make some changes to make my life easier.

Geelong is in 54 days with Melbourne in 96 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment