Friday 14 December 2012

100 more days!

There is 100 more days left until my first Ironman Triathlon! From this day onwards, the number of days left until the race will be a 2-digit number. So excited!!

Last night, Tri Alliance had a (Tri Alliance athlete-only) info session on training for an Ironman (specifically for the Melbourne Ironman on the 24th March 2012).

It was an eye-opener to the training load, the impacts on us both mentally and physically and the people around us - our loved ones (family and friends) and work commitments. It was a reality check - this race is not to be taken lightly. Reasons why we need or want  to do an Ironman need to be clear. If this race was easy - then everyone will be signing up and doing it every weekend - a 3.8km swim, 180km ride and a 42.2km run. You can't do this race without any real training - simple as that.

For the people who have signed up for this event - there are two main feelings:
1) They are nervous and stressed about finishing the distances of the race respectively and about how much the day will hurt
2) They are excited about this day and can't wait for it

For me personally, I am more excited about this event than I am stressed. I trust my program and my abilities. I am not exceeding the program's intensity and I am mindful of my body's reaction to the training load.

I will write more about last night's info session and my reflection/strategy on them in another post. For now, I just wanted to express how positive about the next 100 days. I will use it to my best ability and enjoy the journey I have ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment