Friday 7 December 2012

The Ironman Program ---- Giddy-Up!

This week was the first official start of my build towards my Ironman race on the 24th March 2013. Having finished my first long course race at Shepparton (half Ironman) on the 18th Nov 2012, I have had the most greatest of recovery (2) weeks. I really needed the break - not only it gave my body a chance to recover, it also gave my mind some time to get back into clockwork.

Doing a long course race is not only taxing on the body, it was also strenuous on the mind. I was like a zombie after the race, I couldn't speak or decide on what I was doing, forgetting things which resulted in the lack of sleep due to being restless (and worrying about what else have I forgotten to do). I took on some advice from the coaches, I slept in and caught up on my sleep over the last 2 weeks and now ready to get into the new phase of my life.

The coaches uploaded the new Dec program over the weekend and now I am part of the Ironman (first-timer) group. The mileage will increase (but slowly) as to keep our bodies in tip-top shape for the big weeks coming up. Last thing we want to do is burn out mentally and physically (injuries = yikes) before being able to step onto the shores of Frankston for the start of the race.

I made my comeback to training slightly earlier than the program by attending the long endurance run on Sunday (2nd Dec) at Fairfield. I thought it would not do me much harm as it was a taper week for the Busso guys (Jody and Greg) and also for Canberra and Taupo (Steve and Nick). It was a good 14km run with breaks in between where we could ask Greg some questions which ranged from the program, alcohol and training, run techniques through to Hell Week which starts on the 22nd Dec.

The program for Ironman distance triathlon looks great. Swim sessions are all over 3km long, windtrainer sessions are generally over 55km (generally 90min long) and long rides are starting at around 130km. Runs will start back at 15km on Sundays with 10-12km on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For the first few weeks, I will be swimming, riding and running up to 10km, 230km and 40km respectively. We then have "Hell Week" where we ride, run off the bike (or run longer later in the day) and finish it off with swimming for 7 days (exc Christmas Day).

I will try to stick to the program as much as I can, keeping in mind the balance of work/family/social commitments I have over the next 3 months. My parents have decided to pack their bags and left Darwin to come back to Victoria and will be wanting to settle in Geelong so I will need to do my good daughter duties and just be with them when I can. I guess the upside is that I will have some accommodation sorted in Feb for the Geelong Long Course race!

I will scout out good ride routes from Mentone to Geelong so I can see them on Saturdays and take the train home in the afternoon. This is only a plan. First things first - find a good riding route and maybe some riding buddies.

So for the next few months, I will be doing the following:

Monday - am Swim, pm Pilates
Tuesday - am Run, pm Windtrainer
Wednesday - am Swim, pm Swim (open water)/no training - balance life (dinner with friends)
Thursday - am Run, pm Combo (Swim/Windtrainer)
Friday - am Swim, pm No Training (or Swim if am Swim does not happen)
Saturday - am - pm Loooooong ride
Sunday - am Long Run and open water swim may be introduced

On recovery weeks, I will have no training on Thursday am and may take Friday off.

Something Different
Two people whom I would like to introduce to you all are the male and female Tri Alliance ambassadors for 2012-2013 - Andy Wood-Rich and Lisa MacFarlane. Follow their blogs and their journey with Tri Alliance. They are both great people who love the club and the sport of triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment